Talent Show and Lancer Idol Finals showcase students’ talents

Seniors Keziah Njoroge and Levi Sebahar announce Lancer Idol finalists. Sophomore Sierra Gonzalez and junior Dave Stewart will head to the finals at Canyon Crest High School for the North County finals competition.
Omar Ortega

From singing to the art of poi, the Talent Show and Lancer Idol Finals on Feb. 26 offered students a chance to display their abilities and also introduced the audience to interesting cultures.

Natalie Brdlik gave a little insight about Irish Dancing with her performance to “Blackthorn Stick 69” and started the show off with flair.  Remy Jones performed the art of poi in the dark.  Jugglers Adam Tammarrello, Brendan Kelly, Lucas Clayton, Lance Larson and Jack Newcomb gave an amusing show which was later followed up by a mind-boggling magic trick by sophomore Cameron Penn and Jackson Brians.

“The kids are so natural. I wouldn’t have been able to do that,” judge Keith Glazer said.  “It was hard to be the judge because of the fact that a lot of the [performances] were really close.”

But, of course, the night could not end without its fair share of musical talent.  The audience had the opportunity to listen to singers Alexandria Miller and Natalya Phillips duo performance of “You’re the Only One I Want” by Angus and Julia Stone.  

“We always get together and perform little songs,” Miller said.  “It’s senior year, so why not go out with a bang? We love doing it and seeing how people will react.”

Their performance secured the second place spot right after Hilly Rubin who sang and strummed to an original song called “Care about Today.”  Dedicated to a friend, the meaningful song captured the audience and judges.

“I really liked Hilly’s act,” singer Natalya Phillips said.  “He’s really talented and his performance was entertaining.  It’s  hard to choose one [performance] because each one was special in it’s own way.”

Not only did  the show include modern pop music, classical and theater music were also featured.  Pianist Vikram Thridandam played “Right Now ” by Van Halen and Pavan Muddukrishna, who tied third place in the talent show, also performed a complicated piano excerpt.  

Alexandria Miller’s rendition of the theater song “Not for the Life of Me” ended the Talent Show and earned her a third place tie with Muddukrishna.

“I chose “Thoroughly Modern Millie” because I love the show,” Miller said.  “It has great energy to it and it’s just a great song to perform for a crowd.”

Finally, the Lancer Idol Finals were held and featured four dedicated singers: Ally Mason, Sierra Gonzalez, Dave Stewart and Erianna Flores.  Gonzalez’s version of “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele and Stewart’s performance rocked the show. These two students were voted as the top two finalists and will advance to the North County Finals at Canyon Crest High School.