• Peer tutors available in library before & after school
  • Follow @thelancerlink on Instagram, Twitter & TikTok
News for the Carlsbad High School Community

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

And… Action!

CHS choral department performs annual “Night with the Stars”
Photo Courtesy of Mario Martinez
Carlsbad High’s choral department performed their annual “Night with the Stars” from Feb 8-10.

From Feb. 8-10, the Carlsbad High School drama department performed “Night with the Stars” for local residents. The play showcased a variety of diverse music styles and dances for their large audience.

“Night with the Stars” is an annual show performed at CHS. It is a combination of different songs from movies and TV shows that the cast was excited to be able to share with families and friends.

“My favorite part of the show is probably performing the choreographed piece that me and my dance captains made,” senior Jenna Shin said.

The main part of the show was dancing and singing, but there was more to do than just the main acts. A group of people have to work the lights, and the music, and even have to design the backdrops.

“I really like ‘Black Sheep’,” Hernandez said. “It’s a fun song and it’s pretty cool being a part of a live band and singing in it, but yeah I just like doing the shows for dancing and singing.”

For junior Charlie Hernandez, memorizing lines comes easily. Even though rehearsals are multiple days a week for several hours each, she finds that she can memorize her dialogue within a shorter amount of time than many of her peers.

“It doesn’t take me that long [to memorize my lines],” Hernandez said. “I’m a fairly quick learner so if I have it in front of me and then I listen to it a few times I can usually be fine the next day without music in front of me.”

Prior to the showing of “Night with the Stars”, the cast rehearsed all of their acts for about two days a week for hours at a time. But the week before the shows they went to rehearsal for almost nine hours that week.

“There’s a couple of different acts that I’m in, one of them is ‘Touch the Sky’ that is a trio with a couple of my other friends and the song is from the movie ‘Brave’,” Hernandez said. “Also as a part of the choir band, we’re doing the song ‘Black Sheep’ from ‘Scott Pilgrim vs the World’,”

Even though some student’s favorite part of the show is being on stage, senior Aurora Castaneda’s favored moment is showing the audience and school the hard work they have put into the production, and the final product.

“[My favorite part is] probably getting to show the audience part of our competition set because I’m the president of choir [and] I get to lead the chant,” Castaneda said.