• Peer tutors available in library before & after school
  • Follow @thelancerlink on Instagram, Twitter & TikTok
News for the Carlsbad High School Community

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

Theater department presents the “Puffs” play

Courtesy of Ella Curley
Gemma Schmidt, Kai DiMaggio, and Nathaniel Anderson are in character preparing to perform “Puffs.” They rehearse the play and make sure it is almost perfect for production at the Carlsbad Cultural Arts Center on Nov. 2.

A Harry Potter spin-off focused on the house Hufflepuff, called “Puffs”, was debuted by the theater department on Nov. 2 at the Carlsbad Cultural Arts Center. Students worked together to put on the comedy directed by Andrea Schuck and designed by Brhee McClure.

The lead role of Megan Jones is played by junior Gemma Schmidt. In the past, Schmidt has acted in “Spamalot” as the French Taunter #2 and a Laker Girl, The Motorist in “Clue,” and as the understudy for the lead role of Sophie in “Mamma Mia.” However, this is one of her first lead roles.

“[It’s] Harry Potter, and I have always had a love for Harry Potter,” Schmidt said. “Also, I am a Hufflepuff so that works out well.”

Two characters, Cedric Diggory and Voldemort, are played by senior Wyatt Van Hazel. Cedric is a kind and caring character, as opposed to Voldemort’s villainous, cold, and ruthless demeanor. Van Hazel has been in many productions, such as Professor Plum in the play “Clue,” Sir Galahad in Spamalot and Sky in “Mamma Mia.”

“They are just two completely different people, so it’s just really fun,” Van Hazel said.

Each person that attends Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry gets separated into houses by their personality traits, Hufflepuffs being kind, loyal and hardworking. The play has an abundance of unique characters to appeal to a wide variety of character traits.

“My favorite part might be when all of the Puffs are introduced because they are all just really unique and funny characters,” Schmidt said.

Auditioning for a lead character in a play requires taking into consideration memorizing a lot of lines and having a flexible schedule to accommodate frequent rehearsals.

“With auditions, you list what characters you want, so I put Megan down just because she is the lead role, and I am always going to put down the lead role just in case,” Schmidt said. “I was not expecting to get the part.”

Tech week is the week before the play is presented to the public. The play is blocked over and over until it is basically perfect. The cast practices in full costume, and the technical producers make sure that the lights, music, and set are ready for production.

“I am most excited about performing the show,” Schmidt said. “In the tech weeks before the show, there is a lot of bonding that happens because the whole cast is together basically every second, [so] we make so many fun memories. It gets so much better so fast because you think you’re not ready and it is just amazing.”