Riding to safety as e-bike permit rolls through

Hannah Wheeler
There are many e-bikes parked at the bike racks at Carlsbad High School due to their growing popularity amongst students.

In the beginning of the 2023-24 school year, a bike permit was instituted at Carlsbad High School. Student e-bikers were required to apply and attend an e-bike and bike presentation. Students have varied opinions on the purpose of this permit.

Freshman Drew Weenig believes e-bike safety is an issue that should not be taken lightly and should be something of concern for the Carlsbad community. Some members of the public are concerned with e-bike safety due to worrisome statistics that report 130,000 e-bike injuries and 1,000 deaths annually.

“There are a lot of people that get hurt on e-bikes, like my friend,” Weenig said.

There are about 160 bicyclists that die every year. Bikers can’t always rely on other drivers to drive safely and must rely on their instincts. The San Diego Union Tribune quotes Assistant City Manager Geoff Patnoe as he shares the significance of driving safely on the road.

“Even though the dramatic increase in collisions involve[s] bikes and e-bikes, we know that it takes everyone working together to use our roadways in a safe and responsible manner,” Patnoe said. “That is why we’re not focused on any one mode of travel, but emphasizing the need for everyone to do their part.”

There are many hazards on the road and safely navigating is a way that bikers can mitigate those dangers. Sophomore Matthew Lizardi shares the importance of using hand signals, which he expressed is a biker’s main responsibility while on the road.

“Indicating is a very big part of just riding your e-bike in general,” Lizardi said. “I always use them because a lot of people can be dumb on the road.”

The value of the presentation holds different value to some students. Weenig feels it was not worth his time because the content only covered what he already knew.

“[I didn’t learn anything] because I am safe on the road and it was mostly…stuff that I already knew,” Weenig said.

Lizardi perceived the presentation to be entirely worth his time. The instructors made sure it was presented efficiently.

“It’s not too long, they make it pretty quick and to the point, and if you have any questions, then you raise your hand and they answer them,” Lizardi said.

Security staff member Roger Casanova finds the permit important because the class promotes safety. Also, it gives bikers a look into the future world, which is a small stepping stone pathing the way for bikers to get a driver’s license.

“I believe it teaches responsibility and teaches the students that it is not just a regular bike,” Casanova said. “It gives them a little time to get their feet wet on their responsibilities of operating somewhat of a motored vehicle.”

Carlsbad High School encourages and prioritizes the safety and welfare of students and staff. There has been a difference on campus since this permit was implemented.

“[E-bikers are] more cautious because they understand the severities of the issues that could come about, an accident or the speeding of other vehicle[s], and [the] impacts if there [was] an accident,” Casanova said.