Rising to Star of the Month

Photo courtesy of Julie Redfield
Rising Star Sofia Tamayo with CHS principal and counselors.

The Rising Stars of the Month is a program organized by the Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce. The program aims to highlight high school seniors who have achieved notable accomplishments and overcome hardships while maintaining their academic pursuits throughout the years.

Each month, the Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce Education Committee recognizes one student from each high school in the Carlsbad area. Senior Callie Wilson, the CHS Rising Star for the month of January 2024, is grateful to have the experience of being selected.

“It’s a good accomplishment to know that I am recognized,” Wilson said. “People are able to understand a little bit more about what I’ve been through and my story.”

As a student with dyslexia, Wilson struggled with learning and comprehension during school. It was important to her to maintain a positive mindset in order to be able to deal with her hardships and be able to conquer them.

“It was really hard to be able to understand how to read and write,” Wilson said. “So [I was] just trying to stay positive throughout trying to figure out how to overcome that.”

There are many benefits of being honored as a Rising Star of the Month. When the school year comes to an end, a scholarship will be given to at least one of the students who were selected as a Rising Star from each of the high schools. Senior Sofia Tamayo, the CHS Rising Star of the Month for the month of February 2024, benefited from her experience.

“Later on in the year, there’s an application for a scholarship [which is] one of the benefits,” Tamayo said. “[It’s important to start] making those connections because after I spoke, adults were coming to me with contact information.”

The students that are chosen as Rising Stars of the Month get invited to a breakfast, where they can meet fellow Rising Stars from other high schools and learn about their background as well. Tamayo enjoyed meeting and learning about the other students.

“It was really awesome,” Tamayo said. “I got to hear all of the unique stories.”