• Peer tutors available in library before & after school
  • Follow @thelancerlink on Instagram, Twitter & TikTok
News for the Carlsbad High School Community

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

Middle schoolers experience Lancers’ winning football program

Middle schoolers experience Lancers winning football program
Jackson Ferguson

On Saturday, Jan. 27, local middle schoolers had the chance to be coached by some of Carlsbad High School’s football coaching staff and players. About 65 athletes attended the camp to learn from some of the best coaches and players in the county.

Hosted at Carlsbad High’s stadium, middle school football players took part in a football camp to get first-hand experience on what it’s like to practice as a Carlsbad Lancer. They got to see what it means to be part of a program that is a four-time Avocado League Championship winner and a three-time Open Division finalist.

“The biggest thing we tried to do was make the camp fun,” Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Paul Publico said. “It was up-tempo, loud and very informative. These middle school players went through a Carlsbad High School football practice, essentially. We worked on individual skills, group and team situations. We also went into the weight room and taught them correct form [and] technique for a couple of lifts.”

Participants were able to enhance their skills through running and catching drills. The camp was free and open to any middle school student interested in being coached by an elite coaching staff including Varsity’s head Coach and Offensive Coordinator Thadd MacNeal, Varsity’s Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Publico, Varsity’s Wide Receiver Coach and former Green Bay Packer Brett Swain and Freshman Head Coach Derrick Williams. About ten Carlsbad High School football players attended to show the camp participants how it’s done.

“It’s really fun getting to see these young boys working on their football skills,” Publico said. “The Carlsbad High School football staff decided to host the camp because we love coaching kids.”

Coach Publico remembers developing a passion for coaching back when he was a high school football player himself. He taught high school special education for four years and has been coaching for 18 years.

“Since I was 16 years old, I knew I wanted to be a high school football coach,” Coach Publico said. “Coaching football is many things… but is also very fun. There are so many adults who had a positive impact on my life when I was in school, and many of them were my coaches. I want to have a positive impact on the players and coaches around me.”

Watching the transition of middle school players first being introduced to high school football at these camps and then seeing them develop during high school is one of the many things that is fulfilling as a coach.

“There are many fulfilling aspects of being a coach,” Publico said. “The relationships with my current [and] former players, colleagues and parents. Seeing people like Damon Ivey, Johnny Stewart, Thomas McCormick, amongst others, push themselves to be great for the last four years is a fun process. All those guys, including nine others, will all go on to play college football.”

Middle school players will continue to have opportunities to gain experience at future Lancer football camps. The coaching staff plans on holding more camps for experienced middle school football players sometime this spring.

“Seeing these boys mature, grow and evolve during their time at CHS is super rewarding,” Publico said.