Mitchell Thorp Foundation holds Hearts for Hope 5k

Carlsbad+lancers+cheerleaders+cheer+on+runners+during+the+Mitchell+Thorp+walkathon.+This+is+the+fifth+year+that+they+have+had+the+Mitchell+Thorp+walkathon.+

Victoria Smith

Carlsbad lancers cheerleaders cheer on runners during the Mitchell Thorp walkathon. This is the fifth year that they have had the Mitchell Thorp walkathon.

Megan Overbey, Writer

On Sat. Feb. 7, The Mitchell Thorp Foundation hosted its sixth annual Hearts for Hope 5k run at Poinsettia Park. The community came together to support a worthy cause which included several games, performances and plenty to eat.

The Mitchell Thorp Foundation is a widely known organization throughout San Diego county that helps provide comfort and support for families with children battling life-threatening illnesses.

“The Mitchell Thorp Foundation provides financial, emotional and resource support to their desperate situations,” co-founder Brad Thorp said. “We started the foundation in August of 2009 in honor of our son who passed away of an undiagnosed illness.  We have helped over 60 families in San Diego county with applications coming in monthly from families needing support.”

The Heart for Hope 5k aims to fund-raise for the foundation, drawing in 1000-1200 participants and attendants annually. The event was open for everyone to enjoy the festivities.

“We had food, face painting, fire trucks, a vendor expo, musical performances, Zumba and much more,” Thorp said. “During our inspirational Opening Ceremony, former Navy Seal Jim Woods will make a spectacular aerial entry to Thorp Field, carrying a 1500 square foot American Flag, along with two other skydivers.”

In addition to the numerous activities showcased, the CHS cheer and dance teams were present at the event to cheer on the participants.

“It was so exciting being able to perform our cheer routines for everyone, it’s always great to show off all of our hard work,” junior Arianna Ricci said. “Not only that, but it was great to be able to cheer on the runners as well, the event had an overall very positive energy.”

The event finished on a high note, with a total of $160,000 raised with the help and support of the community.  These funds will be used to help support families in need.

“We are always looking for students to get involved, we have a Junior Advisory group of high school students who get together monthly and operate their own fundraiser initiatives and target the dollars raised to the children of the families that we are supporting,” Thorp said. “While we cannot cure a child, we can help the families endure, and soften their heartbreaking journey, thereby restoring a sense of normalcy in the home environment.”