• NHS applications due 10/26

• Home football game against LCC 10/19

• College app workshop 10/23 @ lunch

• College and career fair 10/17

• CUSD financial aid night 10/25

The Flower Fields open for the 2018 season

Skyla Nelson, Staff Writer

Every spring, 50 acres of the Carlsbad Flower Fields come to life with vibrant colorful flowers blooming every year. The annual opening of The Flower Fields in Carlsbad marks the start to spring here in San Diego County.

This year, the fields open from Mar. 1 through May 13 all day everyday, with attractions pulling in crowds from all over San Diego. In addition to walking through the fields, visitors can enjoy some of their many attractions such as their family tractor wagon rides, sweet pea blossom maze, mining for gemstones, gardening and art demonstrations. The calendar for this season includes events and workshops focusing on arts and crafts, floral and succulent arranging, live music and family-friendly activities including face painting.

“I love going to The Flower Fields with my family, it is always so fun to see all of the beautiful colors and to watch the flowers bloom,” freshman Laurel Moody said. “The events and the games and the activities are always my favorite part of the day.”

The activities include giving back to the community with events such as Girl Scout Day on Mar. 17. More events include Kids Day is on Mar. 24 and arts and crafts workshops set throughout The Flower Field’s calendar.

“I’ve been able to enjoy the arts and craft workshops almost every year,” Moody said. “They’re so fun and so cool to see the finished product at the end.”

Not only do The Flower Fields have events dedicated to the blossoms blooming, but the fields provide stunning backdrops for weddings and events and dedicate time to educational programs. The Paul Ecke Jr. Barn, the wedding stage and gardens, set the scenes for The Flower Fields wedding and events season. The fields also participate in education programs of their own including The Flower Fields Foundation,  Adopt a Class and volunteer opportunities. The Flower Fields Foundation has a vision to provide “hands-on” educational programs for children, charitable grants for low-income schools, an increase in learning environments, special tours for family members of all ages and a scientific understanding of agricultural issues and their historical impact on Northern San Diego County.” The Adopt a Class program has become a large part of the benefits that The Flower Fields give. With helping schools advance their environmental studies, the program allows classes to come and enjoy the activities that they have to offer.

“The Flower Fields have always been really good with kids, because my mom is a second grade teacher, and she goes there every year with her students with the [Adopt a Class] program and her kids always have such a great time,” freshman Sara Mone said.    

Now, the Flower Fields have been growing for over 85 years. They’ve providing special event opportunities, school programs, and entertainment for the thousands that attend each year.

Skyla Nelson, staff writer

Skyla Nelson is a freshman and in her first year of journalism as a staff writer. In her free time, Skyla is apart of Carlsbad Dance Centre’s  competition team and dances in the styles of jazz, tap, lyrical, contemporary, and ballet. When not dancing, Skyla likes to hang out with family and friends.