Marching to victory

Mr. Manzi wins Teacher of the Year
Courtesy of CHS Instagram
Peter Manzi accepts the teacher of the year award presented by CHS admin.

On March 25, Band teacher Peter Manzi was declared teacher of the year for the CUSD school district. Before teaching at Carlsbad, he taught 5th grade through high school music classes in another district. Manzi is now on his tenth season with the Carlsbad Bands.

Reflecting on his career, Manzi acknowledged the support he has gotten over the years. When accepting the honor, he highlighted the role his students and their parents played in shaping his path to success.

“More than anything, I felt like it should definitely be a program award as well, because I couldn’t do what I do without the great students and parent support that we get,” Manzi said.

Aside from performing for most CHS events, the band has been working on a side project under Manzi’s guidance. This project highlights Manzi’s innovative approach to education, setting him apart from other teachers.

“This year we started the Tri-M Music Honors Society, which is a service project where students from our band and orchestra came together to do music community service projects like music mentors at Valley, working at the elementary school and other projects on campus,” Manzi said.

Reflecting on the impact of his efforts, Manzi emphasized the importance of collaboration and community engagement in shaping students’ musical journeys. Looking ahead, he aspires to extend his influence further.

“I hope I can continue to be a role model and hopefully bring more attention to our school and the music program,” Manzi said. “I want to be able to talk about all the amazing things CHS does on a daily basis.”

Manzi’s dedication extends beyond the classroom as he finds fulfillment in witnessing the long-term impact of his guidance on students’ musical development. Thinking about the lasting connections he has formed, he cherishes the opportunity to watch former students’ ongoing engagement with him and the musical community.

“What I look at as the most memorable thing of my career is getting to watch kids grow over four years and continue to watch them improve after graduation,” Manzi said. “I have students from the first graduating class of ‘15 that still come back and watch concerts and check in.”

Senior Sam Vanetsky has been in Manzi’s band class for all four years of high school and reflects on getting to know Manzi. Vanetsky committed to the University of Oregon and plans on joining the school marching band to continue his education and musical development.

“From what I’ve seen from him, the dedication he has for this program is really admirable,” Vanetsky said. “He works so hard and as students we don’t even see all he does, there is so much behind the scenes he does for us.”

Manzi’s dedication to his students and his innovative contributions to music education exemplify his impact on the CHS community. With collaboration, mentorship, and a passion for music, he continues to inspire both current and former students alike.

“This award was really a perfect way to show appreciation towards him and all he does,” Vanetsky said.