Guidance to Greatness

CHS counselors foster student success
Emma Collignon
Students work with counselor Jake Blackburn on course selection for the 2024-2025 school year.

At Carlsbad High School, the counseling team helps many students succeed and prosper through today’s pressures of a school environment. Along with personal aid, they emphasize the dangers of cyberspace, social media and other learning opportunities.

To provide a more inclusive learning atmosphere, counselors now utilize technological resources like surveys and presentations to improve classroom guidance and check-ins with students. Connecting with the students is a central focus of the job, so it is crucial for the counselors to offer a voice to every kid.

“I think for me, you don’t know what’s going on with every student,” CHS counselor Jake Blackburn said. “So I take as much time as I can out for each student, whether that’s just in passing or just saying ‘hi’ in a quick conversation. I think I speak for all six of us [counselors] that no matter who comes through the door, you treat them the same way.”

Not only can the counselors aid students personally, they also help academically. By outlining course selections and assembling career pathways with students, they can help students plan for their future success.

“I would say my counselor has definitely helped me in situations where I don’t feel like I can talk to anyone else about it,” Freshman Dillon Baylis said. “[They] also [help] by just giving me academic support and helping me explore all of the career options I have.”

While it may seem like counseling is a one-person job, it actually requires a team of counselors to keep a school running. Through their shared passion for supporting students, they continue to work to establish an enjoyable and open environment at CHS.

“Our counseling department is just amazing,” CHS counselor Leah Becker said. “We’re a super solid team and we all get along. We’re all here because we want to help our students become the best versions of themselves, and want to see them go off and become successful adults.”

At CHS, the counselors feel that it is vital to establish a safe space for students to talk, vent or just unwind if they need to. Their main goal is to form trusted relationships with students in need, especially for those who fear confiding in their peers and family members.

“I just always want an open-door policy for my kids,” Becker said. “I want my students to know that they can come and see me if they’re having a bad day or just upset, and they’re always welcome anytime.”

A counselor’s role can extend far beyond the classroom and can truly impact the lives of students and their mental health. The positive mindset that counselors have comes from passion and fulfillment to aid in the student’s mentality and can be enriching for both students and counselors.

“I don’t think there’s just one aspect [of counseling] that is the most rewarding,” Blackburn said. “Just having kids enjoy school and the learning process of helping them come back to an environment that they feel comfortable in.”