• Peer tutors available in library before & after school
  • Follow @thelancerlink on Instagram, Twitter & TikTok
News for the Carlsbad High School Community

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

Senior night highlight for wrestling team

On Feb. 2nd, All-American Wrestler Jesse Orona and the other members of Carlsbad’s wrestling team destroyed El Camino 71 to 9 on Senior Night.

Coach Ross O’Briant’s team consists of seven seniors who have been with the program for several years. All the team’s hard work and dedication has paid off because this year they placed second in league.

“We came in and dominated [El Camino] like we have all season,” senior Jesse Orona said.

Orona lead by example scoring 24 points to El Camino’s 8 points during his 172 lb weight class dual. Senior Danny Knox also racked in 21 points wrestling in the 197 lb weight class. Stetson Galloway, Pearse Early and Manny Canals won by forfeit. Senior Charlie Rassel, weight class 222lbs, pinned his opponent in 37 seconds.

Rassel’s wrestling career started seven years ago, back in sixth grade at Valley Middle School. He gives credit to those older than him who made his wrestling career such a successful one.

He admits, although it was hard at times, he is glad he stuck with the sport through high school. His story is similar to all the other senior wrestlers.

“I had a bunch of good seniors my freshman year to kick my butt, rough me up, to get mentally and physically tough,” Russel said. “I try to do the same to my teammates.”

All the seniors serve as outstanding role models for the wrestling team’s youth. Hopefully with all the guidance from the seniors, the underclassman can continue the victorious ]wrestling legacy.

Although wrestling is not the most popular high school sporting event, the old gym was filled with more than the usual number of supporting fans on Senior Night. ASB brought out the tunnel for the seniors to walk through with their parents and Coach Ross O’Briant put together a picture slideshow.

“I am really proud of the program and how far we have come,” Orona said.

The following wrestling meet against La Costa Canyon was held on Feb. 9th, deciding who would take first place in league. Unfortunately, LCC came out lucky, beating us. The loss has fueled the team to keep improving so they can defeat LCC next year in the hopes of becoming league champions.