Runners chase balls…and their dreams on the tennis court

Last week, Carlsbad High Juniors Austin Avan and Ryan Black went to the JV tennis match to cheer on their close friend Shannon Caulfield.

Little did they know they would find a new passion that triumphs all their past experiences. While Caulfield faced her La Costa Canyon counterpart, Avan and Black roared from the crowd, chanting encouraging words to will her to victory.

“It was great to see my friends at the game,” Junior Caulfield said.  “They helped me get amped to beat my opponent.”

By chance, Caulfied was paired against best friend Hannah Oh, a Junior at La Costa Canyon.

“Playing Hannah was so much fun,” Caulfeld said. “It really made the victory sweeter.”

With all the intense play, the two guys wanted to get involved in the action.  Black led the way, nonchalantly asking the coach if there was any way he could help.  Coach Shinto was ecstatic that Avan and Black wanted to be a part of the game, so he let them chase balls for Caulfield’s game.

“I retrieved over 30 balls,” Black. said “I never knew being a ball boy could be so much fun!”

Black claims he wants to become a professional ball boy, in case his baseball career does not work out.

“My dream is to attend Wimbledon as a ball boy,” Black said.  “Since Roger Federer is my personal hero, fetching his balls would be a real treat.”

At first, Avan was not on board with the idea, but was pleasantly surprised in the end.

“I was content just watching the match, but getting in on the action really heightened my overall experience,” Avan said.

Avan and Black want to pursue careers in this field, but are still looking for their big break.

“Hopefully Shannon’s game got our names out there, and soon enough big time tournaments will take us on tour,” Avan said.

The pair hope to attend a few more games before the season ends.