• Peer tutors available in library before & after school
  • Follow @thelancerlink on Instagram, Twitter & TikTok
News for the Carlsbad High School Community

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

Administration announces API goal: Let’s be great. Make it 858

The newest addition to our campus is our school marquee. Representing new school announcements, it mentions every five seconds or so, our recent API score which is 847. Our new goal, along with our new slogan is Lets be great. Make it 858!
Alice Pecoraro
The newest addition to our campus is our school marquee. Representing new school announcements, it mentions every five seconds or so, our recent API score which is 847. Our new goal, along with our new slogan is “Let’s be great. Make it 858!”

With California Standardized Testing beginning on April 22, it comes as no surprise that Carlsbad High’s administrators and teachers have begun their campaign to motivate students. Their promotional slogan, “Let’s be great. Make it 858,” refers to the Academic Performance Index (API), a measurement California uses to monitor academic performance and progress.

“API is a composite score based on all of the students’ tests, like the California Standards Tests and the high school exit exam, the CAHSEE. Scores are broken out into five different areas: advanced, proficient, basic, below basic and far below basic,” Assistant Principal Mr. Lord said. “It is an endorsement of how well the teachers have been teaching and addressing the standards the state sets forth.”

Although API scores range from 200 to 1000, the state strives for a minimum of 800. Furthermore, the government uses demographic profiles to divide schools into groups of 100, ranking each school within a group on a scale of one to ten.

“Schools should be able to gain around ten points each year if they continue what they’ve been doing and encourage students to do their best. We went up 17 points two years ago and 16 points last year,” Lord said. “This year, we’re aiming for 858, an 11 point increase.”

Students should treat the upcoming exams seriously, as a way for the California government to honestly evaluate Carlsbad’s teachers.

“Students should try their best because it’s really a way to show thanks to their dedicated teachers who have worked tirelessly to help them achieve,” Lord said.

Lord makes it a point that Lancer spirit and Carlsbad’s love of winning is not limited sports and certainly extends to academics, particularly when it comes to its rivalry with La Costa Canyon High School.

“We throw out little challenges, making people understand the importance of API, and students really respond well. For the last few years, our biggest rival has been La Costa Canyon. Our API has been higher than theirs for the last five years,” Lord said. “We’re competitive in everything that we do. Whatever it is, we want to win.”