Homecoming assembly starts happily ever after

Homecoming King Scott Snow, helps Homecoming Queen Seannie Bryan, put on her slipper just moments after she realized she had won. (credit: Jared Cohn)

Decked out in Disney-themed attire, the Happiest Homecoming Assembly on Earth marked the festive beginning to a promising Lancer parade, game and dance on Sept. 28.

From the CHS Choral Department to Chamber Orchestra, elective groups started off the assembly by performing variations of classic Disney songs.  Choir singers Julia Bradley, Karlie Carbone, Alex Miller and Kara Sturiale sang “I Won’t Say I’m in Love” featured in the movie Hercules, which was later followed by a beautiful rendition of “Colors of the Wind” by senior Natalya Phillips.

“I really loved the Hercules [song],” senior Priscilla Ibrahim said.  “I’ve always loved Disney, so these were my favorite songs.”

The presentation of the crown took a unique turn with drama members putting an act called “The Crown is Gone Again?!?” which incorporated two Disney movies.

“The Pirates of the Caribbean is a really exciting story and at the same time, it fit will with Dory and Nemo,” sophomore Jackson Brians said.  “It wasn’t a big evil plot, it was simply a happy classic Disney story.”

These events all led to the big announcement of the day.  While twelve students did receive the honorable titles of Homecoming princess and prince, it was the Happiest Homecoming Assembly on Earth for Homecoming Queen Seannie Bryan and King Scott Snow.

“At first I was in disbelief, I thought it went quiet, but everyone told me it didn’t,” Snow said.

However, this year’s crowning had a special Cinderella-inspired twist compared to the previous years.  Each princess was given a shoe box in which only one box had a pair of glass slippers. The Homecoming King then had the honor of fitting the shoe.

“I thought it was great for building suspense but getting the shoe on was one of the most difficult things to do,” Snow said.

Another factor that came into play during the crowning was the King’s and Queen’s relationship.

“I think everyone loves a love story,” Snow said.  “The fact that we both got chosen was out of the ordinary and special, so I think it got us a lot of support.”