ASB changes leaders for the first time in 44 years

After 44 years of dedication and inspiration, Mr. Tom Robinson, known by all as TR, will be retiring from the post of ASB director at the end of the school year. To continue his legacy at Carlsbad High, English teacher Stephanie Nasser will seize the reigns of ASB’s operations.

Under TR’s watch, the school has led the charge in many aspects of school life. Those include the introduction of the Homecoming parade, rarely done by California schools, and “airbands,” a phenomenon of the 80s in which students would imitate a famous band.

“I cannot fill TR’s shoes. He is a Carlsbad tradition,” Mrs. Nasser said. “However, I will bring a new twist to a successful tradition.”

Because Mrs. Nasser knows that TR’s shoes cannot be filled, she is taking a new approach on directing ASB.

“It is my job to bring together the football kid, the speech kid, the art kid and the French kid,” Nasser said.

Her goal is to create a school spirit in which every group, sport and stereotype are represented and work together on creating a new culture in Carlsbad.

This year, students will see Nasser following TR at pep rallies, fairs and football games trying to learn what makes our ASB as productive and spirited as it is.

“She’s been speaking to the kids, taking notes,” TR said. “She’s doing a great job at it!”

One of her biggest accomplishments so far was running the Morning Football Pep Rally before the Ramona game in which she organized the dancers, cheerleaders, the crowd and the football teams, a total of 600 students with less than a day notice.

“To be a good ASB director you have to believe in the culture and spirit of Carlsbad,” Nasser said.

She has seen the “spirit” of Carlsbad first hand after teaching at the school for eight years already and being the faculty adviser for Peer Leaders, a lunch time club for students to help other students learn, and the founder of SADD, Students Against Destructive Decisions, at Carlsbad High.

“I think it will be different being lead by someone else because we had TR for so long. However, Mrs. Nasser shines with positivity and shows great leadership qualities,” ASB president senior  Jacqueline Eghtesadi.

Even though the directorial role of ASB is changing hands, the members are ready to work in the capable hands of Mrs. Nasser who wants us all to “bleed purple, dude!”