CHS lends a helping hand at the Mitchell Thorp walkathon

On Jan. 21, the forecast was not looking bright for the 3rd Annal Mitchell Thorp 5K Walkathon. However, the event continued rain or shine. Overall, the turnout was tremendous for the Mitchell Thorp Foundation. The community did not let the rain dampen their spirits. Without the support of its many local volunteers, the annual event could not have come together.

The Mitchell Thorp 5K walkathon started as a community-wide event to support children and families suffering from life-threatening illnesses, diseases and disorders. Carlsbad High School alumni Sam Reiser was a past recipient of donations from the Mitchell Thorp foundation.

Reiser was diagnosed with stage four Hodgkin’s lymphoma and is now in remission. As thanks, Reiser has become a spokes person for the foundation, and encourages his friend at Carlsbad High to volunteer their time in events such as the annual walkathon.

“Volunteering is huge, because not only are you helping financially, but just being here supporting us, its motivating and that’s half the battle,” Reiser said.

Lancer Dancers, Excalibur, Cheer, ASB and Peer Leaders participated in the 3rd Annual Walkathon. The dance teams entertained participants, cheer motivated runners and ASB arrived at 6 am to set up and decorate.

“Everyone from Carlsbad is great. That’s where I graduated from, and that’s where our community thrives from. The youth at that school is huge,” Reiser said. “Its nice to see support from your own age group, to know your friends haven’t forgotten about you or got caught up in the fast pace of life while your in the hospital.”

Students love how rewarding volunteering feels after the event is completed.

“I feel really good giving back to the community by dancing because my good friend Chase died my freshman year and his death impacted me and this community,” junior Brittany Garcia said. “It just shows how much we care about this cause, to be here, in the rain, with umbrellas, walking.”

The foundation starts planning for the walkathon four months in advance so if you missed this year’s walkathon, visit the foundation’s website and check out how you can get involved with this cause and future events.

[slideshow id=17]