Nine foods to eat before a game

Paige Kimm

Paige Kimm

Jazmin Treadway, staff writer

1. Bananas- Bananas are one of the most eaten fruits in America and to no surprise, they are great to eat before a game or anytime of day. They are a great source of potassium, fiber, vitamin C and manganese. All these things help boost a person’s mood and to help prevent muscle cramps.
  2. Whole wheat pasta- Eating pasta can increase your fiber intake as well as maintaining your endurance during a game. Pasta is loaded with carbohydrates. Carbs provide sugar for your body to fuel your body.
  3. Oatmeal- Oatmeal contains iron, protein, vitamin B, and magnesium. These components help sore muscles, provide energy and help move oxygen from our lungs to the rest of the body.
  4. Low fat plain yogurt- Yogurt is very versatile and can be changed to your own tastebuds. Yogurt can reduce risk of heart disease and boost your immune system to get you back out there on the field sooner and healthier.
  5. Fruits- Some fruits are SUPERFRUITS such as grapefruits, oranges, kiwis, and avocados. These superfruits contain fiber, calcium and many vitamins which promote a healthy heart and keep both teeth and bones strong.
  6. Nuts- Although nuts are high in fat, some of these nuts are the healthy ones. Your body needs this type of protein to strengthen your body. For example, almonds offer the most protein, fiber and calcium than most tree nuts and provide nutrients to support healthy bones and to feel full longer.
  7. Dark chocolate- You may be wondering how candy got on this list, but surprisingly, dark chocolate has something called epicatechin which can increase the production of nitric oxide in the body and can be great for endurance.
  8. Eggs- Eggs are high in protein and surprisingly, the yolk is the provides the most protein, even though it is high in cholesterol. It contains minerals and vitamins to help stay full longer and energy booster.
  9. Sweet Potatoes- Sweet potatoes contain vitamin C and D, magnesium, potassium and iron. These elements play an important role in building healthy bones, nerves and cope with stress.