Boys golf takes a unique angle of approach to the season

Dalton House

Junior Zach Ellis goes in for a swing during one of the first few games of the golf season. The boys put in a lot of effort by practicing up to four times a week and even meeting on the weekends.

Karissa Lynaugh, Writer

As second semester swings into gear, spring sports are beginning their seasons and boys golf is no exception. After pulling off a big win against Torrey Pines in a recent match, the boys are looking forward to what the rest of their season holds.

“We practice four days a week if we do not have matches. Also, on the weekends we will get together and prepare for upcoming matches,” senior returning varsity player Kyle Egge said. “I am looking forward to playing La Costa Canyon, it’s is a big match for us and will play a big role in trying win league.  Advancing into regionals after CIF is our main goal.”

The team is looking towards its most highly anticipated season yet with a fairly young team.

“We have some talented freshman who have come in and made a difference,” senior Alec Madison said. “Everyone is more experienced and I think we can make a push for CIF this year.”

The addition of some younger players this season allows some of the older members to assume leadership on the team.

“It feels good knowing you can play with all the older kids and having confidence that you actually have the skills to compete with them,” freshman Thomas Stephenson said.

As one of the two freshman on the team, Thomas Stephenson who has been playing golf since he was a toddler, takes his competitive edge and uses it to drive him to success on the golf course.

“My goal is to win league individuals and also to win league as a team which we have done for the past three years,” Stephenson said.

With these new additions to the team, the boys are hopeful for a prosperous season with individual records and team successes.

“I think we have a lot of talent this year and we can go farther than we have gone in past years,” Egge said. “I am hoping to advance past CIFs which we have never done before. That is really what I am looking forward to”.

With the extra time the boys are taking out of their weekends to practice and bond together, their determination seems to be working with the recent victory against one of their top rivals in CIF: Torrey Pines.

“In league La Costa Canyon is our biggest competition, but we feel if we just play well we have a lot of talent so we can beat them,” Madison said. “For CIF our biggest rivals are Torrey Pines and Rancho Bernardo.  Since we have already beat Torrey Pines, we have a lot of confidence and feel that if we play the way we should we can compete with them and hopefully pull out a win.”