5 star quarterback Julian Sayin commits to University of Alabama

Gabi Roller

Julian Sayin announces his decision to play at the University of Alabama on Nov. 2.

Jordan Forman, Reporter

On Nov. 2, junior Julian Sayin announced his commitment to play Division 1 football at the University of Alabama live on ESPN. Julian is ranked as the number 1 player in California and is the number 2 quarterback for the class of 2024. 

Sayin received offers from 29 schools across the nation such as USC, UCLA, Michigan, Nortre Dame, and Tennessee. He chose Alabama over his finalists, Louisana State University and the University of Georgia. 

“I chose Alabama because of the coaching staff, the tradition there, and the history of the school,” Sayin said. “It is everything I want to be a part of.”

Sayin has many goals for the future. He is looking forward to furthering his football career in Tuscaloosa.

“I am excited about the atmosphere,” Sayin said. “100,000 fans, it is going to be amazing. I am excited to play with some great players in the upcoming years”

Julian’s commitment has been long-awaited by the entire Carlsbad community. It took a lot of work and perseverance for Sayin to get where he is today. Maintaining a balance between football and school has helped him toward his goal of playing at the next level.

“Balancing school and sports is something you have to do,” Sayin said. “It is a challenge, but you have to make it work throughout the year.”

Carlsbad High School has a rich community centered around athletics, especially football. Julian’s experience at Carlsbad is something he will take with him to the next level of his career. 

“My favorite part about Lancer football is the brotherhood,” Sayin said. “We are a really close-knit group of guys. Every year, it’s a great experience building bonds with the new guys that come in.”

While Sayin is looking forward to the next steps in his career, he still has another year at Carlsbad. Sayin is a major part of the Carlsbad football program, leading the team to a 9-1 record in the regular season. Sayin has many goals for his last season as a Lancer.

“Senior year, I want to win a championship,” said Sayin. “We are 0 for 2 in the last two years. We lost sophomore year and junior year, so I definitely want to win a championship my senior year.”