• National Guard Lunch Visit 1/11

• First basketball home game 1/16 girls @5:30 and boys @7

• Advanced Theatre winter show 1/18 and 1/19 @7

• CHS baseball fundraiser 10th annual home run derby 1/26 @8 a.m.

• Orchestra area concert 1/28 @6

BRIEF: The never ending government shutdown

The Government shutdown impacts all federal buildings and agencies, resulting in a lot of closures.

Photo courtesy of CBSNews.com

Photo courtesy of CBSNews.com

Photo courtesy of CBSNews.com

Olivia Sklenka, Lancer Express EIC

On Dec. 22, the United States government partially shut down. Today the shutdown entered its 21st day, leaving the lapse in federal funding tied for the longest in America’s history since the 1995 one that followed a budget spat between former President Bill Clinton and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich. About 800,000 federal employees are either furloughed or temporarily working without pay as the closure continues.

In politics, a government shutdown takes place when Congress fails to pass appropriation bills or resolutions to fund the federal government’s operations and agencies, or when the president does not sign proposed bills or resolutions into law. This particular shutdown has been tied to funding a more secure wall along America’s southern border. Discussed by President Donald Trump, he is requesting 5 billion dollars to be allocated to the building of a wall.

His requests have been met with mass resistance from a majority of those who are apart of the Democratic Party. Prominent politicians, such as the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, have vocalized their distaste toward that request. The conflicting opinions have impacted talks to reopen the government.

If the partial government shutdown continues for two more weeks, S&P Global Ratings predicts the total impact will be 6 billion dollars, which would exceed the 5.7 billion dollars being requested to build the wall.

The various viewpoints and numerous debates have left the American people with no knowledge as to when the end of this shutdown will occur.

Olivia Sklenka, Lancer Express Editor in Chief

Being the Editor-In-Chief for Lancer Express and the Executive Producer for CHSTV, Olivia has worked hard to surround herself with journalism. Olivia loves...