• Boys lacrosse alumni game 12/22

• Film Academy fundraiser at Norte Restaurant 12/12

• Varsity boys basketball showcase tournament 12/15

• CHS orchestra concert 12/14

• Academy Internship Application due 12/21

A royal engagement

A royal engagement

Sophia Struna

Sophia Struna

Sophia Struna

Skyla Nelson, Staff Writer

On Nov. 27, Britain’s Prince Harry and American actress Meghan Markle announced their engagement. The couple have had speculations of an engagement in the air for many months. This announcement will now lead up to yet another grand royal wedding. Now one of the most researched questions is “who is Meghan Markle” and what will the American princess have in store.

Meghan Markle is an American actress, born and raised in California. She has starred in the hit show “Suits” and has had small parts in other large shows including ‘CSI: Miami,” ”Knight Rider” and “Castle.” The news of Markle’s engagement has caught the attention of social media and the soon to be bride has become an instant role model for many mixed race females because of her african american ancestry.

“My dad is Caucasian and my mom is African American … I have come to embrace [this and] say who I am, to share where I’m from, to voice my pride in being a strong, confident, mixed-race woman,” Markle said.

Markel and Prince William began dating under a year and a half ago. The two met in October of 2016 and are said to have made things official in August after many trips from California to London were shared. Despite her appearance in tv shows and films, the Prince explained he had never heard of her or seen Markel’s shows. Markle also explained despite the Prince’s status, she had known very little about Harry. The two expounded saying not knowing much about one another helped their relationship form organically.

“I think for both of us, though, it was really refreshing because given I didn’t know a lot about him, everything that I’ve learned about him, I learned through him as opposed to having grown up around different news stories or tabloids or whatever else,” Markle said.

The couple also explained how the start of their relationship had to stay unforthcoming to avoid the scrutiny of the pubic.

“We had to sort of reverse the whole process and (have) cozy nights in, in front of the television, cooking dinner with just the two of us by ourselves in our little cottage rather going out for dinner and being seen in public,” Prince Harry said.

The wedding will take place in May of 2018 at the St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle, a smaller venue than where Kate Middleton and Prince William were married in April 2011.

“[We are] extremely grateful for the warm response and delighted that the beautiful grounds of Windsor Castle are where [we] will start [our] married life,” Markle and Harry said.

At the Kensington Palace in London on Monday Nov. 27, the rumors had been disbanded, and Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announced their engagement.

“And together, as I said, there’s a lot of stuff, work that needs doing,” Harry said. “At the moment for us, it’s going to be making sure that our relationship is always put first, but both of us have passions for wanting to make change, change for good.”

Skyla Nelson, staff writer

Skyla Nelson is a freshman and in her first year of journalism as a staff writer. In her free time, Skyla is apart of Carlsbad Dance Centre's  competition...