Threat to Carlsbad High causes school-wide lockdown


Danny Tajimaroa

One of CHS’ security officers directs the flow of traffic from students and parents as the lockdown from an anonymous threat is temporarily lifted for students to leave. The threat was made off a social media account and Dr.Porter along with other CHS staff is working in conjunction with the Carlsbad Police Department to ensure our safety.

Update (Jan. 7, 9:15 a.m.): Yesterday, Jan. 6 at 5:10 p.m., the City of Carlsbad Police Department arrested a 15-year-old female Carlsbad High student at her home for the Instagram threat. The investigation concluded that the student had no intentions of following through with the threat. For more information, contact Investigation Commander Lieutenant Pete Pascual at 760-931-2152 or [email protected] or the Police media contact and Public Information Officer Jodee Sasway at 760-931-2105 or [email protected].

Update (Jan. 6, 4:00 p.m.): School will resume tomorrow, Wed., Jan. 7. It will be an odd day and a late start.

Update (6:00 p.m.): Superintendent Suzette Lovely contacted all students, stating the CHS and CVA campuses will be closed tomorrow, Jan. 6. This is a safety provision. All other schools in the district will remain in session. If you have information related to the incident, contact the Carlsbad Police Department or the Director of Pupil Services, Tim Evanson, at [email protected].

Update (11:15 a.m.): Students can leave campus at 11:15 a.m., only if they have a car or a parent ride waiting for them at the school. Any students without rides are to stay in their classrooms until they have a safe way to get home.

Update (10:50 a.m.): Principal Porter contacted parents and teachers, stating that this is a precautionary lockdown. Parents are asked not to drive to the campus at this time, as it needs to stay open for law enforcement. All students are safe and with their teachers. To keep phone lines free, parents can check Schoolloop for further updates.

Around 9:25 a.m., before students would normally head off to brunch, teachers and students were directed to remain inside their first period classrooms until further notice. The lockdown is a response to an anonymous post found on Instagram, which threatened the campus with a “shoot-up.” 

As of 10:30 a.m., students remain in their classes while administration takes the necessary precautions and the police monitor the campus.

Check back for more information as it develops.