• Peer tutors available in library before & after school
  • Follow @thelancerlink on Instagram, Twitter & TikTok
News for the Carlsbad High School Community

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

Roundtable tutoring now offered at CHS

English teacher Mrs.Stewart tutors a freshman student with his biology studies. Teacher tutoring is a helpful new aspect to our school because students can get extra learning, if needed. Tutoring is every day after school in all primary subjects.
Alice Pecoraro

As of April 15, CHS has started offering roundtable tutoring, taking place Mondays through Thursdays after school from 2:45 to 4:30 in the library. This type of tutoring differentiates from peer-tutoring because, unlike peer tutoring, students will be assisted by teachers.

“We have credentialed teachers that are providing the service,” Mrs. Penrod said. “Peer tutoring is student to student, run by peer leaders. I think we have amazing, bright and talented students as tutors, but teachers are excellent in the subjects as well as the teaching methods.”

Roundtable tutoring offers students new learning opportunities, whether it’s with a specific homework problem or reviewing a topic.

“Students come and have specific questions or problems,” biology teacher Mrs. DeCino said. “It can be just a drop-in or teachers can assign a student to go.”

Now that this tutoring system has begun, be sure to check it out–whether it’s for homework help or some last minute studying before your finals arrive.

“[Students come for help with] concepts in math and topics in history like interpreting political cartoons,” Penrod said. “There have been students who come for help on essays and interpreting literature as well.”

Peer tutoring will still be offered to students as well. For a complete schedule of roundtable tutoring, visit School Loop.

“Tutoring helped my grades excel greatly. I feel like tutoring has become a part of my daily life,” freshman Leah Kressin said. “I encourage everyone to go to tutoring because it raises your intelligence and helps you understand material better.”

With this new method of tutoring, as well as peer tutoring, students are given the opportunity to review subjects or get in some extra studying before tests.

“Just to have that extra help is really beneficial,” Mrs. Penrod said.