Freshman class council makes a difference

Emma Collignon
Freshman class president Ava Keyvon and freshman class Vice President Lilah Gee attend a student council meeting.

Kicking off the 2023 school year, Ava Keyvon and Lilah Gee start their term as freshman class president and vice president. Keyvon and Gee seek to implement new ideas this year.

At the beginning of the school year, incoming freshmen voted for a representative class president and vice president. The newly elected presidents want to change the school’s atmosphere, environment, and overall student experience for their freshman year.

“I think [Ava and Lilah] are really good fits for the school and that they will do good things,” freshman Kyan Fast said, “I hope they make the overall high school experience better for students.”

Keyvon, the new president of the freshman student body, knows what this new role entails and every responsibility that comes with it.

“My goal is to achieve things that past presidents wouldn’t have attempted to do,” Keyvon said. “I am trying to make [this school year] an enjoyable and memorable experience for all the students.”

In addition to the president’s plans, Vice President Gee explains why connection with other students is an essential aspect of high school.

“I will improve CHS for the better because I will make us all connect better with each other,” Gee said. “I will make sure that we are able to make this year the best that we can because we have one freshman year, and I want to make sure that freshmen have a voice at CHS, and if there are changes that need to be made that we get that done.”

Gee elaborates on her motive for applying for this position and her insistence on motivating the freshman class to participate and be active in their community.

“I’m really motivated as a person and I also like to think I’m pretty friendly and approachable,” Gee said. “I just like to try and meet as many new people as I can. I will motivate the freshman class by just trying to be a positive figure to them and treat them with importance.”

Keyvon also focuses on other hobbies that have given her the ability to give guidance, control, and management of others.

“I play a lot of instruments and a lot of the leadership opportunities I have done have been involved with music, so I have a lot of experience with leadership and responsibility,” Keyvon said.

Keyvon encourages students to reach for their dreams, as she has done.

“I would encourage students to just go for it, if you are thinking of doing something just go for it, like how I ran for president,” Keyvon said. “I did not overthink anything and I just went for it which caused me to reach my goal.”