Hidden talents featured at Coffee House Night fundraiser

Advanced theatre puts in the long hours at the CAC, so come out and support their fundraiser in room 5002 on Nov. 1 at 6p.m. (credit: Jared Cohn 10-22-12)

Whether it is singing, dancing, improv or magic, students will have the opportunity to showcase their special talents at this year’s annual Coffee House Night. This fundraiser will take place on Nov. 1 at 6 p.m. in room 5002.

Theater teacher Monica Hall is putting on this event to raise money for Carlsbad High School’s Improv Club and the theater department.

“We use some of the money for our Improv expenses because they do not have their own fundraisers,” Hall said. “Also, some of it goes to entry fees into festivals because our students do not have to pay for it themselves.”

Coffee House Night is an open-mic night sponsored by the theater department to feature student’s hidden talents. Because of the variety of talent at CHS, Coffee House Night offers extremely unique performances.

“Performances range from stand-up comedy to musical acts to monologues to anything you want to perform,” junior Ally Mason said.

Unlike theater’s annual showcase, any CHS student can participate.

“Coffee house night gives everybody in the department an opportunity to perform. It doesn’t matter what class you’re in, it doesn’t matter,” Hall said.

This fundraiser is a major source of fuding for the Improv Club.  Without it, the club would have no money to put on events. Also, it gives Improv Club a place to show off what they have been practicing at club meetings.

“Improv Club finally gets to show off to a live audience for a change,” junior Evan Ridpath said.

Coffee House Night only costs $2 to get in and it is a potluck so students are encouraged to bring food to share. Students who would like to perform can sign-up at any Drama Club or Improv Club meeting prior to the event.

Make sure to stop by for a night of singing, dancing, improv, and magic.

“There’s gonna be some magic because everyone loves a little magic,” Ridpath said.