• Prom 5/18

• Film festival 5/14

• Senior dinner 5/28

• Choral Pop Show 5/31-6/1

• Last Early Release 6/3

Sarah Schneider, 11

Sarah Schneider, 11

Junior Sarah Schneider plays post on the girls varsity basketball team. She has been playing basketball since she was four years old and is one of the team captains on the team this year.

Hanna Dupre

Hanna Dupre

Hanna Dupre

Junior Sarah Schneider has been playing basketball almost her whole life and contributes to Carlsbad’s varsity girl’s team as a post. This year she is one of the team captains and plans to duplicate the success from last year’s CIF Division II championship win.

LL: How did you get into basketball?

SS: When I was little, my dad bought me one of those toy hoops and I was obsessed with shooting and playing. After that, I started playing at the Boys and Girls Club, and then the Calavera league when I was old enough.

LL: How many years have you been playing?

SS: I’ve been playing since I was four and I don’t really intend on playing basketball after high school officially, but no matter where I go, I’ll always love to play if there’s a hoop and a ball.

LL: What is your favorite basketball memory?

SS: Last year when we played El Camino, we had a lot of intensity and it was a really competitive game. We were fighting the whole game and came out with the W. It was such a fun game to play in.

LL: What has been your biggest accomplishment in basketball?

SS: In basketball, I’ve really worked my way up in the program. I started on the freshman team, and then played on JV and now I’m on varsity, so making varsity was my biggest accomplishment.

LL: What is the best lesson you’ve learned from basketball?

SS: Basketball is so fast paced, so if you make a mistake, you just have to come back from it. I guess it’s kind of like life, you can’t dwell on the past, you have to look to the future. When you make a mistake you just have to make up for it and go balls to the wall.

LL: What is your favorite pump up song?

SS: “El Chapo” by Skrillex. Our whole team gets really pumped up to that song before games.

LL: Who is your biggest inspiration?

SS: Probably my mom because when I was in sixth grade, she was diagnosed with a pretty hectic cancer, and she just pushed through and stayed strong. She always says, “Everyday will bring something better. Stay strong and be happy.” Whenever, I’m sad I always think of that and think of the tough time she went through and how strong she was. We got through it as a family so she’s such a huge inspiration.

LL: Anything else?

SS: We just want to win the ship this year. Come out and support girls basketball.

About the Photographer
Hanna Dupre, Phtotographer

Hanna Dupre is a senior at Carlsbad High School. This is her second year as a photographer on The Lancer Link. Her best friend is her dog named Pooka and...