• Dance Extreme 4/11-4/13

• Speech and Debate Showcase 4/11 at 6:30

• CHS baseball fundraiser @ Senor Grubbys 4/17

• Varsity boys volleyball against Eastlake 4/12 @ 4:45

• Varsity softball game against Mission Hills 4/16 @ 3:30

Top Ten things to do instead of attending prom 2.0

CityWalk+is+available+at+Universal+Studios+for+a+fun%2C+outdoor+experience.++

CityWalk is available at Universal Studios for a fun, outdoor experience.

commons.wikimedia.org

commons.wikimedia.org

commons.wikimedia.org

May 16 is just around the corner, and everyone seems to be preparing for prom. Except for you. But just because you aren’t going to the dance does not mean sadness has to be your date for the night. Whether you are a senior who thinks dances are too mainstream or a freshman who cannot attend, we will tell you about several (ten, to be exact) new and improved ideas that provide entertaining and affordable alternatives.

1. Go to a concert: Lana Del Rey and Courtney Love will be appearing at the Sleeptrain amphitheater in Chula Vista as part of Lana Del Rey’s Endless Summer Tour. The concert begins at 7:30 p.m..

2. Go to the Movies: New films such as Pitch Perfect 2 and The Avengers: Age of Ultron will be coming out around May 16. Additionally, Cinema Under the Stars, as seen in our first Top Ten, offers the ability to rent out the theater for parties.

3. Attend the Walk and Roll Run: The Mito Research Fund is holding a 5k to support the mitochondrial disease research fund. The theme is mad hats and mustaches.

4. La Jolla Date Night: Sur La Table in La Jolla offers cooking classes almost every day. May 16 offers a Paella Workshop at 2:30 p.m. and a Date Night: French Riviera class at 6:30 p.m. Before going, you can check out Windansea beach along with the La Jolla art galleries and shopping.

5. Go out with friends: The flower fields are now open, so you can visit them with friends for a photo op, followed by shopping at the Carlsbad Outlets. Afterwards, grab some dinner at Ruby’s or Karl Strauss. If you are on a money-saving budget, head over to Costco for reasonably priced pizza, churros, ice cream and smoothies.

6. Netflix marathon: Who needs friends when you have Friends?

7. Disneyland or Universal studiosAlong with the entertainment from the amusement parks, these locations offer city life outside of the park. Downtown Disney and Universal CityWalk provide shops, restaurants, movie theaters and more. You can enjoy the fun of the amusement parks without having to pay the cost of a ticket.

8. GNO: You and your friends can still get dressed up and have fun without the prom expenses. Meet up with friends to get dolled up and have a night out. Before a nice dinner at Vigilucci’s or any other local restaurant, have a photoshoot at the beach or Magee park. Save some money and have a blast with your friends.

9. Night at the Theater: Stand up comedienne Jackie Kashian (as seen on Conan and Last Comic Standing) will be performing at the Carlsbad Village Theater alongside the “Pearl Street Player’s” Sketch Comedy at 8 p.m.. The emcee for the evening will be Kurt Swann and tickets are $25 at the door or $20 online.

10. Get AirSimilar to Sky High but new and improved, Get Air provides a day full of fun. With the ability to do flips into the foam pits, conquer the slackline, play dodgeball and just bounce around, there are options for everyone. Participants pay by the hour, starting with $16 for the first hour and down to $9 for the added hours. The trampoline park is open until midnight.

About the Writers
Andie Naugler, Editor-In-Chief

Andie Naugler is a senior at Carlsbad High School and a co-editor-in-chief of The Lancer Link. She was chosen to be a Champion Lancer and represent beach...

Emma Veidt, Editor-In-Chief

Emma Veidt is a senior at Carlsbad High and a co-editor-in-chief. She runs on the varsity cross country and track team, but her favorite hobby is eating....

Haley Spanier, Editor-In-Chief

Haley Spanier is a senior at Carlsbad High and co-editor-in-chief of The Lancer Link. She enjoys spending time with family and friends. In her free time...