• CHS college and career fair 10/17

• Winter Sports Physicals Offered 11/1

• Middle School Speech and Debate workshop at CHS 10/9-11/13

• Homecoming football game 10/20 at 7p.m.

• Community Service Opportunity - Kelly Elementary 10/21

Filed under News

Mr. Robertson’s change in position

Mr. Robertson goes from teacher to assistant principal

This year, past teacher, Mr. Robertson received the position of assistant principal, as Mrs. Redfield stepped into the position of interim principal for the first semester. Without Mr. Robertson in the social science department, past co-workers have felt an absence in the department as have students.

Prior to being assistant principal, Mr. Robertson taught World History, Anthropology and AP European History. His class in room 8205 was doors down from Mr. Shinnefield’s World History and Psychology classroom.

“As a friend I do miss that he used to be doors away, so now that he’s up in the office and all around campus, it’s harder to see him,” Shinnefield said. “That just means that I need to make more of an effort to see him.”

In Mr. Roberton’s place, Mrs. Hetherington has taken up the responsibility of teaching World History, Anthropology and AP European History until Robertson has the opportunity to move back.

“It’s unsure how long I’ll be staying, because it depends on where Mr. Robertson is going, but ideally, forever,” Mrs. Hetherington said.

Hetherington’s unique, yet similar teaching style has largely been helping the students gain just as much, and has created a new classroom dynamic beneficial to all.

“From what I understand and what I’ve been hearing, I’ve been a lot like Mr. Robertson. It’s a compliment for me, for sure,” Hetherington said.

After having been in the classroom for so long, the change of scenery created a shift in dynamics for Robertson. As a part of administration, a major aspect of the job is the constant movement across campus to keep everything in line.

“I think one of the big differences is that as a teacher, you’re in the classroom 2 hours, so your movement as a teacher is very much restricted to those four walls,” Robertson said.

The relationship with students in a classroom environment, had provided a platform for greater communication. As an administrator, there isn’t as much opportunity to spend an entire year with the same, small group of students.

“The major difference is that, although I get to see students everyday, I don’t get to have the major student interaction,” Mr. Robertson said. “You don’t get to form the relationships that you have as a teacher with the kids as much.”

For those who are hoping to have Robertson in the future, there is a good likelihood that he will return to his home department after Dr. Brian Brockett takes over as principal.

“The plan as I know it right now is that this is a semester appointment, and after this, I go back into the classroom,” Robertson said.

The change implored different responsibilities than that of teaching and grading. Duties as an assistant principal differ greatly from duties as a teacher, seeing as though the goals of the job are two different objectives.

“I make sure that school classes, and the student environment is safe,” Robertson explained. “Everything from the start of school to the end of school is being run appropriately.”

Regardless of the change in position, Robertson continuously makes efforts to continue the relationships he’s cultivated throughout the past few years.

“I need to make it a point to go to the 8000 building and go see my fellow teachers in my social science department and just check in with them. Relationships are something that you have to cultivate and work on, so part of working on it means you have to stop by,” Robertson said.

Either as a teacher or administrator, Mr. Robertson sustains his joy of his job, and works hard to better Carlsbad.

“Seeing students’ excitement and seeing them go explore stuff, I think as a teacher, that’s what brings you joy I still think I always will be a teacher, no matter what job I’m in, in whatever shape or form,” Robertson said.