Van Klassen Shreds the Slopes

Bryce Stoney
Sophomore Van Klassen hits a jump at Mammoth underneath chair six.

Throughout the past three years, sophomore Van Klassen has developed a deep passion for snowboarding. His hard work and commitment to the sport has earned him incredible opportunities such as recognition from multiple sponsors.

Though he didn’t always ride the board, Klassen always took an interest in the world of snow sports. After pursuing skiing for almost a decade, the influence of his peers sparked the change.

“When all my friends started to snowboard it seemed more enjoyable,” Klassen said. “So I switched and I’ve fallen in love with it ever since.”

As Klassen has continued to pursue a competitive career in the sport, he has gained many unique experiences when traveling for competitions. Many kids have never even had the opportunity to travel, but Klassen’s mindset has even earned him trips internationally.

“I’ve snowboarded all around the country, Canada and have been to many crazy resorts,” Klassen said. “But my favorite place to go is Brighton in Utah or Mammoth because of their park and mountain views.”

In snowboarding, consistency is crucial to mastering high-speed skills while making rapid decisions regarding the conditions of the slopes. Sophomore Bryce Stoney, Klassen’s peer and frequent snowboarding partner, has seen firsthand how he’s applied these concepts to his improved performance throughout the years.

“I go to Mammoth with him typically once a month or every other month,” Stoney said. “He gets better every trip because he’s always pushing himself to his limits.”

While Klassen’s talents in snowboarding might have led to his sponsorship, his extra work behind the scenes helped to build up his public figure. Through filming and social media, Klassen was able to assemble his portfolio showcasing his dedication to the sport.

“I put in a lot of time during the past seasons to make all my snowboarding clips and videos,” Klassen said. “When I shared my content with the company, 100% Snowboarding and Biking, they sponsored me.”

Klassen’s relationship with 100% Snowboarding and Biking has been essential to his success as his snowboarding career continues to expand. Not only does the company offer him higher performance opportunities in the sport, but it also supplies him with apparel that better fits his high-difficulty skill set.

“Having access to top quality gear like goggles, glasses, helmets and shirts has been a benefit for me, but it also spares me the expensive prices that come with maintaining the equipment,” Klassen said.

At Klassen’s young age, his strong passion and diligence in the sport has already paid off. In the upcoming years of his career, he aims to continue training vigorously for whatever lies ahead.

“The company has always inspired me because of all the well-known athletes that are sponsored, so I’m really excited to see what the future holds,” Klassen said.