Getting political on Twitter

Natalie Borla

Natalie Borla

Jillian Della Penna, staff writer

Safe to say the most trending topic lingering around the entire nation is Donald Trump. Unlike generations before, society today has developed a higher acceptance in discussing politics with one another in public.

Social media has grown exceedingly fast as an easy way to vent a political opinion, and celebrities have been jumping at the opportunity.

“It is encouraging to see people who voice their opinion especially if they are famous,” junior Dailey Sparks said. “It is important for people to care about our country, but it is extremely unprofessional to bring up politics in business.”

The most well-known faces in America have been loudly voicing their opinion on Twitter hammering at the new President of the United States. Comedian Chelsea Handler had no problem lashing out during the campaign; “The only person with more respect for woman than Donald Trump is Bill Cosby.” Harry Potter author, J.K. Rowling tweeted after a debate.

“When celebrities voice their opinion publicly it doesn’t bother me, but I don’t like when they make their whole social media about politics for the whole year,” senior Caroline Carterette said. “I follow them because I like them for their character or their singing skills or whatever they are famous for. I didn’t follow them to see a ton of political posts.”

Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry and Lady GaGa were enthusiastic faces for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, in hopes to have young followers trail in their vote. For teenagers who just experienced a historical election, it is easy to shadow their role models.

“I don’t see how anyone could get offended by a celebrity’s political opinion when Trump is literally a celebrity in office,” senior Alex Sarem said. “The only people I have unfollowed are the people who don’t believe in climate change and are ignorant enough to post about it.”

However, the opinions of the celebrities offended the opposing side or ones who did not feel comfortable interacting with political discussions on social media. Many have lost followers due to the outspoken tweets or Instagram pictures they have posted.

“I try not to let it offend me because everyone is allowed to have their own opinion,” Sparks said. “The thing that really bothers me is when people blatantly offend the candidate or their followers for their beliefs If I respect your view, you should respect mine.”

Meryl Streep, Lee Daniels, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Olivia Wilde, Robert De Niro, Lena Dunham, Bryan Cranston, Stephen Hawking, John Legend, Jack Black, Cher, Ben Stiller, Jennifer Lawrence, Johnny Depp and Ellen Pompeo are just a few names on the long list of celebrities who have spoken out against the new President and administration.

“I like seeing the people I look up to and the celebrities I follow share their personal opinion,” Carterette said. “But I don’t like when they start to hate on people who do not share the same opinion as them.”