• The home football game on 10/31 has been moved to 10/30 for safety reasons. JV at 4:30 Varsity at 7

• Drama Club is hosting the first Coffee House Night of the year in Room 5002 at 6pm Oct. 29th. Anyone is welcome to perform or come watch.

• Congratulations to Advanced Theatre on DTASC Wins!

• Red Ribbon Week Dress up days: Monday: Give Drugs the Boot - Western Day Tuesday: Look to the Future - College Day Wednesday: Be A Hero, Say NO to Drugs - Superhero Day Thursday: One School, One Goal - Wear Red

• WELCOME DR. JOSH PORTER, OUR NEW PRINCIPAL!

Glass Giant rocks Battle of the Bands

Andrew DaRe

Seniors Chad Ummel and Jon Falcone sing harmonies during their performance.

Juliet Luty, Staff Writer

On April 3, Carlsbad High School hosted the annual Battle of the Bands competition. This year, the battle consisted of two bands –MC Snuggie and the Mystery Band and Glass Giant. Both bands played within their own genre making for a musically diverse competition.

The first band to perform was MC Snuggie and the Mystery Band. They played multiple songs all with an indie feel and powerful vocals from their lead singer.

Glass Giant, a band consisting of seniors Chad Ummel, Jonathan Falcone and Vinnie Zellefrow, closed the competition. Like the first band, they played their set in front of a crowd of students and a panel of judges in Lancer Arena.

“I really liked being able to perform in front of my friends to see if they like our band and music” Zellefrow said. “It’s a great way to get our music out there.”

Glass Giant’s style differed greatly from the first band; their music gave off more of a rock feel.

“We play progressive rock with some metal and jazz on occasion”  Zellefrow said. “We also like a lot of melodic music.”

After the competition wrapped, the judges did not announce the winner immediately. Instead, the bands had to wait in anticipation until the following day.

When the results were finally announced, the bands learned that the winner was Glass Giant. Although the band was excited about their triumph, they admit that, in the end, they were not in this solely for the title.

“It was less about competing. It was more about gaining exposure and being able to do what we like to do,” Ummel said.

Comments

*