Be optimistic, be Carlsbad

Optimist International will be a new club on campus next year.

Olivia Easterbrook, Writer

On this campus we have many fun community oriented clubs, but for the first time CHS is bringing in a club that expresses positive vibes for our group of students. This club is called the Optimist Club, a division of Optimist International that wants students to create a peaceful environment for their community.

“A ‘worldwide volunteer organization made up of more than 2,500 local clubs whose members work each day to make the future brighter by bringing out the best in children, in their communities, and in themselves’,” club coordinator Nathan Williams said.

The Optimist Club is one of the two local chapters of Optimist International. For more info on their activities, check out their website, www.optimist.org/  . For our school the club will be called the CHS Octagon Club that will benefit our school with its encouraging goals.

“The CHS Octagon Club will give students another avenue to pursue service in their community,” Williams said. “The Octagon Club will be uniquely tied to the international organization (OI) and to a local adult club. OI will not only be a sponsor the club, but will also allow members to participate in the activities of the adult club.”

The goals the Octagon Club wants to establish our youth’s progress, organize service projects and collaborate on larger events. The Optimist Club of Carlsbad ultimately hopes to set up multiple Octagon Clubs at different schools, including CHS, Pacific Ridge, Sage Creek and others.

“The Optimists are particularly focused on youth service and development,” Williams said. “Also through these activities, students would improve their communities, develop their leadership skills, experience personal growth and prepare themselves for future leadership and service skills.”

The club also volunteers at several organizations and creates opportunities for members to get involved with their community.

“Our activities cover many areas of service including homeless shelters, hospitals, veterans, Boy and Girl Scouts and fundraisers,” Williams said.

Students can easily sign up for the Octagon Club and join. All you have to do is contact Nathan Williams at [email protected] and send him a message.

“We are open to anyone and are hoping to grow the club to about 20-30 members by next year,”  Williams said.

One thing that all members of the Octagon Club must do is to express their best to uphold the Optimist Creed.

“To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind, to talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet,” Williams said.