Boys Golf finds success in 22′-23′ season

Brandon Faulkner

Junior Luke Cohen getting ready to drive the ball at the Valley Center tournament.

Brandon Faulkner, Photography Editor

The Carlsbad Boys Golf team made headway throughout the year, winning tournaments and competing against schools such as San Diego Academy, Sage Creek, Valley Center and Torrey Pines. Training is of utmost importance when it comes to gaining these victories.

The 2022-2023 season for the Boys Golf team was full of ups and downs, with practices and games being either canceled or won. For the golf team, the weather has been the biggest factor affecting gameplay. With the constant bombardment of rain that Southern California had experienced over the past few months, senior and varsity captain Cade Fisher shared his experience.

“We have had a lot of rain this year, which has been really tough because we have had to cancel a lot of matches due to how much rain has fallen,” Fisher said. “It’s ultimately up to the course due to the fact that rain destroys the course. Rain and wind both affect your gameplay and the types of shots you play.”

Coaches John Wardrup and Steve Jess both worked hard throughout the season to ensure that the boys are ready for anything they may face on the course during gameplay. Both coaches have been coaching for three years now, contributing to how golf is taught, and making sure that the boys are ready to take a stand against other schools they may face. 

“Coaches are awesome to work with,” Fisher said. “Both are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the game of golf. They lead us both on and off the course with social situations, and then also on the course with teaching different shots and what conditions you may face during game time.”

Playing on a high school team is different from playing individually. When playing for a team, a group of six people will play, where only five scores matter when it comes down to the score. One may have a bad day, and their score could get dropped. But when it comes to individual tournaments that aren’t affiliated with Carlsbad, everything relies on the player.

“Individual tournaments are a lot more taxing,” Fisher said. “It’s usually a 3-4 day tournament of 18 holes, and it’s just you out there. No other person can influence your score. When it comes to winning, it’s nice knowing that your name is on the trophy, and it’s a sense of accomplishment. Playing for Carlsbad is fun, and winning for Carlsbad is something enjoyable. It’s just a different aspect when it comes to individual tournaments.” 

In order to get ready for a competition, players have 2-3 practices a week where players will hit and go out if a tee time is available. Players often report back with their scores on the game they just played, and coaches analyze them to ensure that the boys are ready for the game.

“A match lasts 3-5 hours, depending on how far away the match is and how long the course is,” junior Lennox Li said. “A typical course normally has 18 holes with 6 par 4s, a couple of par 5s, and 1 or 2 par 3s. It’s long and tiring, but overall, it’s worth it.” 

Despite facing challenges such as weather or simply not performing well, the Boys Golf team has excelled at their sport, winning both individual tournaments and school tournaments. The Boys Golf team throughout the season had shown that they are capable on all fronts when it comes to the game of golf. 

“We are looking to make it to CIF and make it to the state,” Fisher said. “Ultimately, I believe that our team can thrive in those areas and see if there are any other tournaments that we can play later on.” 

Despite all the triumphs that the team has shown, struggles often come about. Weather, exhaustion, and other factors play a significant role in how one might play the game. 

“The most rigorous tournament was Fairbanks Ranch, simply because we had never played there before,” Li said. “Cathedral’s home course was also rigorous and extremely long.” 

Players like Luke Cohen plan to move on to professional golf later on in life while their teammates continue to work hard and strive for success. With coaches dedicated to their craft and experienced leaders as captains, accomplishments can be made even in the hardest of times. 

“Overall, I know the boys are dedicated to what they do,” Fisher said. “All of them are basically my best friends, so working with them is just like hanging out. With supportive coaches and a great team, we have been able to accomplish a lot.”