Renner breaks ten-year record

From+left%2C+senior+Steven+Renner+and+parent+Baris+Sarsilmaz+stand+next+to+Renners+banner+after+he+had+broken+the+ten+year+record+for+most+amount+of+goals+scored+in+a+season.+Sarsilmaz+held+the+record+in+1990.+

Courtesy of Jennifer Zamora

From left, senior Steven Renner and parent Baris Sarsilmaz stand next to Renner’s banner after he had broken the ten year record for most amount of goals scored in a season. Sarsilmaz held the record in 1990.

Sophia Weis, Editor in Chief

Senior striker Steven Renner, broke the school record for the most goals scored in a season. Baris Sarsilmaz, parent to senior defensive midfielder Brock Sarsilmaz, held the record since 1990 when he scored 23 goals and was there to witness this monumental moment.

Renner has contributed to 26 goals this season surpassing the past record. Tonight, the boys head into their CIF finals game, hoping to come out with a ring.

“I would attribute my success to my whole team and the whole coaching staff,” Renner said. “If it were not for them none of this could have been achievable.”

Through the help of his team and coaches, Renner was supported throughout the entire season, making this moment possible. As a 4 year team member, Renner has progressed tremendously throughout the years.

“I’ve watched Steven play since he was a freshman and [I] just notice how he’s improved every year,” Sarsilmaz said. “It’s kind of neat to see him break it especially since we were the same number too, which is number seven.”

Lucky number seven, the number Sarsilmaz wore when he broke the record back in 1990 and the number Renner wore when he broke the record this past week. He feels after all this time, his determination has come full circle. Obtaining this record is something he will cherish forever.

“I felt very accomplished and content with myself because all of the hard work I had put in finally seemed to pay off,” Renner said.

So far, the boys varsity soccer team has had a great season with only one loss. This past Wednesday, they played in the CIF Division II semifinals and progress to the finals, tonight.

“Our team record is 15-1-8,” Renner said. “We have only lost one game out of 24 and as of now we are in a CIF championship.”

As this is the last season for many of the boys, Renner hopes to end with a win and a ring. Sarsilmaz has high hopes for these boys, going into their finals game.

“It just gives me a lot of pride to be a Carlsbad Lancer Alumni and seeing the program get to the finals of CIF again,” Sarsilmaz said. “It was good to see Carlsbad become a good soccer program again.”