Lady lancer volleyball falls short against Torrey Pines

Delaney Benson

Sophomore, Victoria McDonald, spikes the ball in her game against Torrey Pines on Thursday, October 1st. Carlsbad had a tough loss, with the score coming out to 0-3.

Kyle Kluis, Staff Writer

The Lady Lancers lost a tough match against the Torrey Pines Falcons on Thursday, Oct. 1, in three sets. It was a well fought game by the Lancers who just did not have enough to beat the high powered Falcons led by junior outside hitter Savvy Simo.

Carlsbad continued to improve as the game went on and senior setter Kasie Coogan felt good about the progression of her team’s play throughout the game. The Lancers lost all three sets by the scores of: 25-16, 25-14 and 25-20.

“We started a little bit down, but by the end we picked up our energy a lot,” Coogan said.

Carlsbad seemed to struggle in the first couple games with accuracy but eventually picked it up in the third game.

“We were just looking to put up some points against Torrey Pines and show them what Carlsbad is made of,” senior volleyball member Erika Gerdes said.

Some of the best plays of the game came via sophomore middle blocker Avery Hanan who had two kills, each one taking place midway through the second and third games, respectively. The kills served as momentum changers for the Lancers and were key for them in making big rallies against the Falcons. Hanan was rewarded for her efforts afterwards by being named the player of the game on MaxPreps.

“I thought we played a nice match,” coach William Miller said. “Our middle fired away, we had a nice rhythm. It was good to see the girls fired up to play a team like that.”

CHS will now enter league with a record of 3-7 and will attempt to improve that record on Oct. 7 against the Sage Creek Bobcats. The Lancers look forward to playing the Bobcats  and believe that they can go out and get a win.

“We’ve been preparing a lot of league,” Coogan said. “So we’re ready to go.”