Lancers outrun LCC at home meet

Timur+Khusnutdinov+hand+off+the+baton+to+Chris+Spiering+on+April+2%2C+2015+

Hannah Kellermeyer

Timur Khusnutdinov hand off the baton to Chris Spiering on April 2, 2015

Whitney Drucker, A&E Editor

CHS hosted one of their only two home track meets against rival LCC on Thurs., April 2. When the points earned from hard work and determination were added up, the Lancers came out with a huge win.

“Personally I did very well, I got a PR as well and so did a few of my other teammates,” sophomore and pole vaulter Julia Taliana said. “As a whole track team we came together and performed really well.”

Pole vault placed second, fourth, fifth and sixth for boys and fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh for girls. Triple jump placed third, fourth and fifth for boys and first, second and third for girls. Excellence in both of these events as well as sweeping first through fourth in boys long jump and third in girls.

“This first home meet started off the track season well,” Taliana said. “My favorite experience was doing the fat man relay where people from every event do a relay. It was a very cool experience because I got to do it with my closest friends.”

Pole vaulters, jumpers and throwers all participated in a 4×1 relay also at the end of the meet. One pole vaulting team placed first and third, meanwhile shot put placed second in the mock race.

“I won the 4 by 1, the 4 by 4 and the 400 meter. I think our whole team swept a lot of the events including the jumps too,” sophomore Kiley McCarthy said. “It was awesome especially since we don’t have that many home meets this year, it was cool to face LCC at home.”

In the 100 meter and 200 meter races, runners Chris Spiering and Summer Mason both placed. Placing first for their 400 meter races, Gabriel Retzer and Kiley McCarthy made their way to the top. Alongside Kiley McCarthy and Connor Crowe taking first for their 400 meter-relay split races, Carlsbad took up all four spots in the competition.

“It was great to have the meet at home because you just feel more confident on your own track and I think that helped us in the win against LCC,” Hill said. “LCC has always been one of our rivals so it feels awesome to get a win against them.”

Stand-out runners Nathan Williams and Natalie North-Cole took home first in their 3200 meter races. This dominate win against LCC gave the team momentum as they move onto facing their next competitors.

“My favorite part was beating my personal rival because last year she beat me by point one seconds to go to state,” MaCarthy said. “It feels great to beat LCC because we worked really hard and proved that we’re ready to compete with other teams.”