San Diego Chargers rebuild stadium

Whitney Drucker, A&E Editor

Controversy fills the air when talking about the possible relocation of the San Diego Chargers. Dean Spanos, team president and CEO of the National Football Leagues San Diego Chargers, claims he wants the chargers to in San Diego and not move to LA, but the decision is not up to him. Throughout the past years, the managers have been debating with the mayor and NFL task force about the decision to move to a new stadium that would be shared with the Oakland Raiders or to stay at the Qualcomm Stadium. Within the past few months, this conversation has heated up. Although the final answer is uncertain, official forces will decide whether or not the Chargers will move by the start of the season. As of now, the Chargers are not moving to LA.

Qualcomm has hosted a total of three super bowls; Super Bowl XXII in 1988, Super Bowl XXXII in 1998, and Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003. In order to host more Super Bowls they would like to have an up-to-date arena. Along with the San Diego Chargers, Qualcomm stadium is home to the San Diego State University Aztecs college football team.

“A lot of people will lose their jobs if the Chargers transition from San Diego to Los Angeles,” freshman Vittoria Trupiano said. “Their stadium is in bad condition right now so I think it would be nicer if they did build a new stadium but keep it in San Diego.”

Even though the chargers may not move in 2015 they are considering renovating the Qualcomm Stadium. The cost of building a new stadium would be approximately $800 million with the help of tax payers money.

“I would like the Chargers to stay in San Diego and one of the options was to build a new Stadium in the parking lot where the new stadium is right now and then demolish that stadium and make that the parking lot,” freshman Dylan Smith said. “I think that’s the best idea because they really need a new stadium. ”

The possibility remains uncertain but turning towards staying in San Diego and renovating. Other aspects such as marketing, having room for hosting the super bowl, and maintaining a competitive balance with other teams in league factor in to the final decision. If the Chargers did move Los Angeles it remains unlikely San Diego would get a new team. All in all, if the Chargers do not move they will likely rebuild a new stadium.