Carlsbad soccer shines at Signing Day

Photo courtesy of photobakery.com

Senior soccer players sign their letters of intent on National Signing Day. The Signing Day events took place at the Hall of Champions in San Diego, where student-athletes from all over the county came together to officially commit to their schools. (Photo courtesy of photobakery.com)

Grace McGinty, Sports Editor

In November, the San Diego Hall of Champions hosted an event for the early period athletes signing their National Letters of Intent. On Feb. 4, the Hall of Champions threw a second signing party for athletes that did not sign at the previous date from football, soccer and boys water polo.

A total of 131 athletes came out to announce and celebrate their official commitment to universities all around the nation. By signing the NLI, these athletes bind themselves to their NCAA scholarships and their schools of choice. For Carlsbad, all 10 signees came from the soccer program.

“I verbally committed sophomore year, so it feels great to know it’s finally official,” senior Hannah Keogh said. “The whole experience the Hall of Champions held made all of us feel like our futures are finally here.”

The athletes signing have worked for countless hours on the field, in the pool or on the court. For them, their entire athletic career has led up to this moment. With the recruiting process being a journey unlike anything else, signing the NLI isn’t just signing a paper, but confirming their promising futures.

“I’m really excited to play soccer in college, it’s something I’ve wanted to do since I was little,” senior Christina Nixon said. “I’m super excited to for the new opportunities college will bring. I can’t wait to meet new people and compete with a new team.”

Although these athletes have locked in their scholarships, their hard work and determination has not stopped there. With the collegiate level of play being unlike anything they have experienced, the signees will continue to train and practice hard in order to excel at the next level.

“It’s very rewarding to finally sign. I’ve been playing my whole life and working really hard to get to this point,” senior Ryan Brent said. “This motivated me to continue to get stronger, faster and become a better player so when the time comes for me to play at the next level, I’m ready.”

Signees:

Ryan Brent: Men’s Soccer (California State University, San Marcos)

Alison Casey: Women’s Soccer (Kansas Wesleyan University)

Keira Dagy: Women’s Soccer (Dominican University)

Alex Gardener: Women’s Soccer (Manhattanville College)

Hannah Keogh: Women’s Soccer (North Carolina State University)

Shelby Lee: Women’s Soccer (University of California, Irvine)

Summer Mason: Women’s Soccer (Seattle University)

Hannah Miller: Women’s Soccer (University of Nevada, Reno)

Christina Nixon: Women’s Soccer (California State University, Northridge)

Makenzie Tucker: Women’s Soccer (Brigham Young University Hawaii)