Girls varsity soccer defeats Mission Vista Timberwolves

Senior+Christina+Nixon+dribbles+down+the+field.+Nixon+has+been+on+varsity+for+three+years.+

Hannah Kellermeyer

Senior Christina Nixon dribbles down the field. Nixon has been on varsity for three years.

Kamden Maas, Staff Writer

On Jan. 12, a majority of Carlsbad High students were enjoying the extra day off, because of the threatening note, yet Carlsbad’s girls varsity soccer team was practicing and preparing for their upcoming games.
The hard work paid off when the Lancers earned the win on Friday night over the Mission Vista Timberwolves with a score of 9-1.
“We had a productive practice,” senior forward Summer Mason said. “We executed drills and ran a moderate amount; it was enough running to physically and mentally prepare us for the game against MVHS, but not to make us tired. Before every game, as a team we always do sprints to remind us that we need to work hard during the game even when we are tired. Our coach wants us to be awake and ready for any team.”
Mason was the leading sorer, with five out of the nine goals. Soccer players not only have to push through the forty minute halves of constant moving and running, but also the winter weather; rain or sun the varsity girls soccer team must continue with the game. On this Friday evening, once the sun diminished, the team played in a layer of haze, chill, and matching parkas.
“I think this game was a really good learning experience,” senior right defender Christina Nixon said. “We had never played Mission Vista because they are a relatively new high school and recently acquired a girls varsity soccer team, so we did not know what to expect. We were a little out of rhythm in the beginning, but then started to play our game once we scored a few goals. As a team, we were able to recognize the teams strengths and changed accordingly as the game progressed.”
Towards the second half of the game, the Lancers began to take the lead by scoring several goals. Once gaining goals, the team began to make passes and goals more fluently, proving to MVHS who was the tougher competitor.
“Eventually we stopped focusing on scoring and focused on getting better as a team by keeping possession of the ball and working on new tactics,” senior attacking mid Rosie Medina said. “We are hoping to take this momentum into the next games and the rest of the season. Ultimately, we are trying to get as strong as we can leading up to CIF. Everyone should come and support us at our next game against vista on January 20th.”