A trained friendship lasts a lifetime

Marianna Marsden

Trainers Larry and Norm have worked together for 16 years. Their friendship is not only on the field, but off the field.

Tristan Baez, Writer

Whether its football, softball, baseball or track and field, athletic trainer Larry Duensing and partner, known as Norm, have accomplished a lasting friendship, have taught each other great lessons and have bettered themselves from it.

“Norm and I met about 15-16 years ago, Norm was helping with the football equipment but he wanted to do more,” Duensing said. “So what the coaches decided to let him come with me and help out with my athletic training program, and ever since then we’ve been together.”

During this time, both Larry has learned many other many lessons, helping him self improve.

“I’ve learned patience, tolerance, and I have also learned that my way is not the only way and that there are different ways to do specific things that are just as good, if not better than I would do them,” Duensing said. “He really has taught me a lot of important things.”

Norm has also learned a lot under the wing of Larry and has implemented it to his everyday life.

“Larry has taught me to be a helpful person and to help other people. He has taught me patience and how to be patient with the other trainers so I can help them,” Norm said. “He really has helped me a lot and I love to work with him and the other trainers.”

Carlsbad High’s Athletic Trainer program has allowed students to help out, and senior Lizzie Peterson has spent the past four years interacting with Larry and Norm.

“They’re really energetic and they play off one another and they really do love each other and its great to see that,” Peterson said. “They are always joking and smiling so that plays off to us and we get in a good mood so we all have a lot of fun while we get the job done.”

Larry and Norm put emphasis on getting the job done right but also understand that its important to have fun. Senior Brooke Lopez has a great deal of fun working with the head trainers.

“There are good days and there are stressful days but at the end of the at least we know we are going to laugh with everyone,” Lopez said. “We understand that we have to get done what needs to be finished and then we can have fun later.”

On the field and off the field they show a friendship like no other, inspiring others and bringing joy to all.

“They really do love each other,” Peterson said.”Whenever they are around each other their energy just makes everyone around them smile.”