• Peer tutors available in library before & after school
  • Follow @thelancerlink on Instagram, Twitter & TikTok
News for the Carlsbad High School Community

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

The Lancer Link

Super Bowl XLVI Preview

This Sunday, the New England Patriots will take on the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLVI.  Both teams are on impressive win streaks–the Patriots have won their last 10 games, and the Giants have not lost in five.  Four years ago, these teams met in Super Bowl XLII, where the Giants won and denied the Patriots a perfect 19-0 and season.

In the AFC Conference Championship, the Patriots defeated the Baltimore Ravens in a close game that came down to a missed field goal by the Ravens’ kicker.  The week earlier, New England beat the Denver Broncos in their playoff opener.  After only beating teams with losing records throughout the 2011 regular season, the Patriots have looked to bounce back from an early playoff exit last year to the New York Jets.  New England entered the playoff as the top seed, with only three losses to their name–one being to the Giants.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady had a career season, throwing for 5,235 passing yards, which is the second highest single-season total behind Drew Brees.  His main passing weapons are Wes Welker and Rob Gronkowsi, who both lead the league with outstanding receiving stats.

The Giants played the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Conference Championship and won in an overtime thriller.  Earlier playoff wins against the Atlanta Falcons and Green Bay Packers came after a 9-7 record in the regular season, which gave the Giants their first playoff birth since 2008.  Quarterback Eli Manning leads the Giants, who are the first team to reach the Super Bowl after being outscored during the regular season.

The CHS student body is split with their Super Bowl picks.

“Eli Manning will use his talented receivers to steer the Giants to a victory and become Super Bowl champions,” senior Shannon Caulfield said. “I bet 50 bucks that they will win, so I am extremely confident.”

Other students have opposing views on who will win this year’s game.

“Tom Brady is the smartest quarterback in the league, and the Giants are not defensively ready to defend Gronowski,” junior Shaun Robinson said. “The Patriots are going to avenge their loss from four years ago.”

The game will be played at the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana.  Kelly Clarkson will sing the national anthem and Madonna will provide the halftime entertainment.