Lancers rout Eagles in playoff opener

In the first round of the San Diego Section Division I playoffs on Nov. 18, the Lancers trounced the Granite Hills Eagles 49-7.

The Eagles were held to 56 rushing yards and didn’t have much luck in their passing game, either.  The Lancer defense forced four interceptions—two from Sam Miller and one each from Michael Dahlquist and Langden Lapp—and only allowed 52 passing yards.  Senior captain Miller returned his second interception 45 yards for a touchdown late in the game.

The Carlsbad offense was potent as well.  Quarterback Tanner Wrisley threw for 146 yards and had touchdown passes to Jordan Perez, Jake Gordon and Andrew Proulx.  On 27 carries, junior Shawn Cameron ran for 139 yards.

“It felt great to come out with that intensity.  We needed a big win to give us some momentum in the playoffs,”  senior Austin Paterson said.  “Our coaches are going to prepare us for our next opponent like they always do, but it’s up to us players to work hard and give a hundred percent effort every day if we want to beat Vista.”

Granite Hills had to use three quarterbacks throughout the night, each of whom threw at least one interception.  They had a grand total of five turnovers—an early fumble contributed to the Eagles’ forgettable night.

In potentially the last home game of the year, the crowd was pumped and was happy to see their team coast through the game.

“With so many people there, the football team couldn’t have lost; they carried the crowd’s hopes and dreams into the game,” senior Stephen Phan said.  “At least to me, they won the moment they stepped onto the field and the first cheer was called.”

Carlsbad improved to 7-4 overall, and will play the Vista Panthers (5-5) in the second round of the playoffs.