Politics getting old?

In today’s day and age, U.S. politicians and government officials are too old and are out of touch with the younger generations. Because of this, many of the political decisions being made in our country do not reflect the opinions and perspectives of young voters.

Since political candidates have a disconnection with younger generations, many teens feel they are not represented in the government. Additionally, some politicians are not fit to serve due to their outdated mindsets and the health complications that come with old age.

Older government officials are taking us back in time by voting against existing laws. For example, five out of the nine Supreme Court justices voted to overturn Roe vs. Wade, a law protecting the right to choose abortion and reproductive healthcare. This case was initially passed in 1973 after countless protests. Elected politicians appoint these justices, meaning that they will usually share the same beliefs. In the case of Roe vs. Wade, three of the five justices who voted for the bill to be overturned were appointed by former president Donald Trump, who is 77 years old. The judges themselves range in age from 52-75 years old.

Furthermore, politicians across the country have introduced over 120 bills that, if approved, will target and harm the LGBTQ+ community and limit their access to health care. Around 89% of people ages 18-29 support same-sex marriage, compared to 60% of people ages 60 or over. The views of older generations are impacting the world that the younger generations will be forced to live in.

Another issue with current politicians is that some of them may be too old to maintain their health and mental competency. In recent news, 81-year-old Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell had his second freeze-up on camera. Doctors claim that McConnell’s freezing episodes may be a result of a traumatic brain injury that he suffered from earlier this year. In March, he was hospitalized for five nights after a fall left him with a concussion and a fractured rib. From that point forward, he has had many other health issues while in office. Politicians with age-related health issues should be focusing on themselves and their recovery rather than trying to represent the American people.

The age of politicians is becoming increasingly detrimental to the health of our democracy. Certain politicians even believe that the age of current government officials is starting to affect the country as a whole. 76-year-old Republican senator Mitt Romney claims that “it’s time for guys like [him] to get out of the way and have people in the next generation step forward.”

The main issue right now is that there isn’t an equal ratio of older to younger people in the legislative branch. There needs to be accurate representation of all age groups in every government office. Without this equality the government won’t represent all the American people.

Furthermore, 51-year-old Republican Nikki Haley, presidential candidate and former governor of South Carolina, believes that politicians over the age of 75 should be required to take mental competency tests and that there should be term limits to Congress. She states: “America is not past our prime, it’s just that our politicians are past theirs.”

To change the current age in our government, we need old politicians to step down and young ones to step up to the plate. Younger generations of leaders need to take initiative for our country, and by making this alteration to our government, we can change it for the better.

Some may say that having older politicians is better because they are wiser and have more life experience, however, this is not true because the longer these politicians are alive, the more set in their ways they will be. When they are in office, they are more adjusted to the customs they grew up with, rather than representing the views of the people. Although the older people in office may represent their older constituents well, it’s not fair that the youth have no one to advocate for them and what they believe in.

On Nov. 24th, 2024, voters will determine the 47th president of the United States, as well as senators, House representatives and propositions. For the ballot, people over the age of 18 will be able to vote on these issues and influence the future of our government. This is an important time for people of all ages to speak out and vote for people that they believe will be fit to serve. Regardless of voting eligibility, advocating should be a priority. Speaking out about your beliefs and changes you would like to see in office are great ways to make a difference without voting.

It is time to make a change to the American government and make it fair for all citizens, no matter their age. We need to strengthen our government by adding an age cap on current officials and having young politicians rise up to alter the way our government has been run. No matter your political affiliation, this is an issue for all American people. The United States is supposed to be known for fairness and equality, but we need to include the youth in topics that will affect them. It’s time to prove that we as citizens can all come together and change our country’s leadership for the better.