Could schools benefit from a home economics class?

Sarah Brooks, Reporter

Many high school students cannot cook for themselves, and others cannot cook anything other than a grilled cheese. Students cannot fix simple things on their new car, iron their clothes, or even do their own laundry before they go off to college- but high schoolers’ parents probably could at their age. These are simple and crucial life lessons that were once taught in a class called home economics, or “home ec.”

Sometime in the 80’s, home economics classes began to slowly disappear in schools. It is not a surprise that funding for a home economics class could be a problem, because there would need to be a whole kitchen purchased and supervised, and materials like groceries needing to be purchased for each project. However, supporting parents would probably have no problem donating to the school in order to have this class offered. The problem of a single teacher having to instruct and supervise this class could be solved with teacher aides and assistant teachers, and the problem of groceries needing to be bought could be solved by fundraising and doing a bake sale of items made in class.

In an article from the University of Michigan, a statistic said “requiring schools to teach cooking as part of health education was supported by 64 percent of the public…” With this many people supporting a home economics class or program, many of them probably would not mind paying $50-$75 in order to be able to afford equipment needed. Students could also bring materials needed for things like sewing and groceries for cooking.

Home economics could also promote healthy eating by students learning how to prepare healthy food alternatives. After students prepare healthy meals or anything else that they cook, they could be used for something like a bake sale in order to raise more money for the school and class. 

For our school particularly, the home economics class could raise money for class activities by selling some of the food that is made properly. This could save money and provide other students around school with well-made and healthy food, prepared by their peers.

Overall, if Carlsbad High School and other schools offered home economics, this could teach students important life lessons that would certainly be very useful throughout life. It could also encourage life skills, healthy eating habits and in some cases, potential new career ideas for students.