• Boys lacrosse alumni game 12/22

• Film Academy fundraiser at Norte Restaurant 12/12

• Varsity boys basketball showcase tournament 12/15

• CHS orchestra concert 12/14

• Academy Internship Application due 12/21

Lady Doritos: A snack designed to make women more invisible

Jordan Bryant, Staff Writer

As if regular Doritos weren’t enough for the world, PepsiCo has introduced the idea of “Lady Doritos”, that are essentially cleaner and quieter chips to snack on. The idea is that women don’t enjoy snacking on Doritos because of the loud crunch and messy residue they leave behind on your hands, so PepsiCo introduced the idea in an interview as a new snack for just “the ladies.”

If you could not already decipher the sexist message, here’s a brief explanation; real “ladies” are perceived to be as clean and quiet, therefore a clean and quiet snack must be provided for them. Instead of getting no tax on female hygiene products, or equal pay, which we have been asking for for decades, we get sexist snacks that make us more invisible than we already are. 

The PepsiCo company stated in an interview that women don’t enjoy crunching on chips loudly in public and licking their fingers after a bag of Doritos, as men do.

“Women would love to do the same, but they don’t,” PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi said. “They don’t like to crunch too loudly in public. And they don’t lick their fingers generously and they don’t like to pour the little broken pieces and the flavor into their mouth.”

As if generalizing women was bad enough, she implies that women aren’t or mustn’t be messy, loud or unclean in anyway. God forbid one hears a woman chew or, worse, see her eat. For centuries, women have been screaming our voices hoarse that all we want is equal rights and the same respect as men, yet its the 21st century, and the only thing women are getting is specially designed chips for women to make us even quieter and cleaner than we are already expected to be. One may ask when the humiliation will stop, though I dread it’s more a question of “if” rather than “when.”

Fortunately, after the backlash Nooyi faced online after the idea of the “Lady Dorito” was released, she has openly admitted that the Dorito will be repealed from all thoughts. How this was even considered to be a remotely good idea? The world may never know.

Jordan Bryant, staff writer

This is Jordan's first year in Lancer Link. Jordan loves reading and writing, and spends her time taking photos and going on adventures. She loves lying...