Stay optimistic in sports

Hannah Kellermeyer

Sophomore Mitch Horan was lifted up by the crowd after making a half court shot in the final seconds. Even though the team lost by 33 points, the crowd was still proud of the hard work the team had during the game.

Max Chacon, Opinion Editor

Since the dying days of October, several times week I sit myself down on the living room couch and watch my beloved Los Angeles Lakers take one heartbreaking loss after another. After the team has already worked their way to a dismal 15-41 record, you think I would be numb to to each loss by now–but that’s most definitely not the case. Each loss tugs at my heart and makes me yearn for the days when Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and Lamar Odom were bringing titles to Los Angeles. Heck, each loss just makes me yearn for the days when the Lakers were the best basketball team in LA.

We all have that one team we all root for with our heart and soul whether it be the Lancers, Lakers, Trojans, or Chargers (maybe even the Padres if you really like to suffer). In order to fully appreciate the team’s highs, you have to be there for the lowest of the lows. That’s what being a true fan is all about. It’s about the journey with the team through thick and thin. If you jump ship for another team, you are what sporting fans call a “bandwagoner” and might as well just stay away from sports in general.

Teams cannot go from being awful to contenders with a weak fan base. The best players won’t want to play for a nonexistent fan base, and if you aren’t a supporter of your team during its dark ages than good luck seeing a change of fortune.

Speaking of not-so-great-basketball-seasons, our boys varsity basketball team have seen much better days. However, despite their final game to LCC being over a thirty point loss, it was the perfect example of the crowd supporting a team that just is currently lacking the ability to win.

The crowd rallied behind seeing Kyle Kluis, who normally finds himself on the far end of the bench, draining a three and claiming it with a Russell Westbrook-esque celebration, and that is exactly how you make the most out of a terrible season. You cheer for the little things like big plays, good passing, and just quality plays. It’s just important never to give into the greatest sporting sin of all: giving up on your team. Turning your back on your team shows that there is no pride or interest in the team and there is no way to form a winning culture at a school when there is no support. In the wise words of Journey, “Don’t stop believin’.”

So Mitch Horan’s three-quarter court heave at the buzzer ended the season on a night filled with optimism, and that’s exactly what any losing team needs going forward. Here’s to better days ahead for the Lancers and the Lakers.