Carlsbad HS students have the opportunity to attend an International Film Festival

Karissa Lynaugh, Writer

On July 2 through the 9, students of CHS will have the opportunity to participate in an exchange program, in which students can travel to the Czech Republic by invite from Lord Mayor Peter Kulhanek. Students who are chosen through the application process will have the unique opportunity to attend the International Film Festival hosted by Carlsbad’s sister city in the Czech Republic: Karlovy Vary.

“I encourage students to go to this as ambassadors of America to the Czech Republic,”director of Carlsbad Sister City Ambassadors Lady Vesta Rundle-Ross said. “You do not have to be a film student to go and it is a wonderful opportunity for students of the age 13-18 to get to travel to share their experience with our city here. Also it gives you the unique opportunity to travel and experience another culture.”

Four to six students will be chosen to attend the International Film Festival. Participants can expect amenities including ground transportation from Prague to Karlovy Vary, lodging, admission credentials to the film festival, castle and city tours, as well as a majority of the meals.

Students must apply through an application process that entails describing yourself, as well as your interest in traveling to Karlovy Vary. The application deadline is Feb. 28 which needs to be mailed to the PO Box 131202, Carlsbad, CA 92013. Applicants can expect a personal interview held the week of Mar. 15 before selection is made.

The application can be found at this link.

“Students may go online and look at the application, they can even apply online if they would like,” Rundle-Ross said. “Students who are selected to go will be notified by Mar. 31 if they were selected. Chosen students will have from that time forward to raise the money themselves for their own individual airfare. The only other requirement moneywise is that they will need to become members of the Junior Ambassadors.”

Selection will be announced by March 31 via telephone call. If you would like to learn more about this unique opportunity there are Sister City Club meetings at the HS every odd Thursday in Mr. Hendricks classroom (room 8101).

“Students and their families would also have the option to host a student, here in Carlsbad, from Karlovy Vary in 2016,” Rundle-Ross said. “It gives participants that are selected the rare opportunity to have all of these amenities for a student visit in part of the world that is a choice destination spot.”