Meet senior football captain Thomas Weirich

Gabi Roller

Thomas Weirich warms up to compete against Torrey Pines High School on their homecoming night.

Kaitlin Ferguson, Assistant Editor

Senior Thomas Weirich is a running back and linebacker for the varsity football team. He has attended and played at Carlsbad for all four years, but this year is different; he is one of the captains. 

For many athletes, senior year is a bittersweet end to high school. Finishing this season in the championship, Weirich reflects on his past football experience at Carlsbad. 

“I have played football since third grade, so about nine years, and I have enjoyed every minute of it,” Weirich said. “Starting off my final season is so special, and I am looking forward to it and all the memories that come from it.” 

For many athletes on the team, their numbers are assigned by position. However, this season Weirich has worn jersey number 31, his number having more meaning behind it for his senior season.  

“This year I got to pick my number, and I chose number 31. It has always been my favorite number, and my father also wore this jersey number,” Weirich said. “My dad attended and played football at Carlsbad just like me. Playing at the same school and wearing the same jersey number as my dad is pretty cool.” 

Weirich has made unforgettable memories with the football team over the past couple of years. One of his favorite memories from this year’s football season is beating Liberty High School from Bakersfield, California. 

“Beating Liberty was my favorite memory and greatest achievement from the season,” Weirich said. “They are a great team, so winning against them was a great feeling, and it felt like all of our hard work paid off.”

This season the team has overcome the competition, finishing at the top of Avocado League, winning the Rotary Cup and getting second place in the CIF open division championship. Weirich is already looking forward to the future of the football team. 

“This season has been going great so far, I can’t wait to see what we can accomplish for CIF [California Interscholastic Federation].” Weirich said. “We have an incredible program here at Carlsbad.”