More than meets the eye: how baking is beneficial

French Corner cafe, opened by Palombi-Long, 
welcomes customers to eat homemade baked 
goods.

Eva Huebner

French Corner cafe, opened by Palombi-Long, welcomes customers to eat homemade baked goods.

Eva Huebner, Assistant Editor

A professional baker and a few Carlsbad High students believe there is more to the art of baking than just pots and pans, such as the fundamental skills it brings that can benefit humans.

Alexandra Palombi-Long, the current owner of French Corner located in the Carlsbad Village, has a strong passion for cooking and baking. She enjoys serving customers so they can have the sensation of getting a homemade meal. The overall hobby gives her the opportunity to make connections, whether it’s with her friends, families, or customers.

“For me, it’s something that triggers positivity,” said Palombi-Long. “I also feel like baking is an enjoyment for spending time with family and friends.”

Palombi-Long believes that baking has some aspects that are beneficial for individuals, such as the opportunity it gives to socialize with others and create some great conversations.

“Baking is an enjoyment for spending time with family and friends,” said Palombi-Long.

Freshman Ida Behrouz Vazeri developed an interest in baking during the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. Having to stay at home resulted in a “boredom curing” hobby that distracted her from the unstable events in the world.

“When I bake, it helps me take my mind off of stuff that’s going on in life and I can just focus on doing something I love,” Behrouz Vazeri said. “It just makes me feel happy.”

Behrouz Vazeri even developed handy ways of thinking while baking. Whether she burns cookies, leaves out ingredients, or uses the wrong baking soda, it gives her the opportunity to learn from her mistakes and create those new mindsets that are useful in school or the real world.

“Something I can use throughout the school year is just the fact that it’s okay if something goes wrong because I’m going to keep trying over and over again,” said Behrouz Vazeri.

Freshman Talia McCann also uses this hobby because it is therapeutic and distracting, in a good way. McCann feels that baking gives her a break from the new workload she’s been receiving.

“I just think that baking, in general, is super fun, and it’s very stress-relieving for me,” McCann said.

In the end, while it might seem simple at first, baking has benefits that can help humans mentally. Along with the opportunities it brings, it provides socialization skills, enjoyment, and more.

“[There are] so many new things to discover [in baking],” said Palombi Long. “I just love, again, the reward of eating something delicious that I made.”