Five books to get you through quarantine

Books include The Hobbit, Crazy Rich Asians, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Love Does and The Four Agreements. Photo by Natalie Landes.

Natalie Landes, Assistant Editor

Now three months into quarantine, boredom is really hitting hard. Binging Netflix shows and learning TikTok dances may not be cutting it anymore. The constant reminder of the pandemic on the news offers little comfort, and we’re all looking for an escape. There’s no better way to refresh your mind than with a great book. According to Healthline, “Reading books benefits both your physical and mental health, and those benefits can last a lifetime.” Here are five books that will keep you entertained and off a screen. You might even learn a thing or two. 

Something to make you laugh

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

If you haven’t read this incredible novel yet, now is the perfect time. It has everything you want in a book: romance, humor, suspense, drama and adventure. Follow young college professor Rachel Chu as she is dropped into the glamorous world of her boyfriend’s elite Asian family. I would definitely consider this a tropical vacation read, but for now, kick back in a lawn chair and imagine you’re in sunny Singapore. 

A classic adventure

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

“My precious!” The Hobbit is a classic fantasy adventure that’s fun to read at any age. You will get sucked into the magical world of Middle-earth as you follow Bilbo and the dwarves on their chaotic journey to take back the Lonely Mountain.

An inspiring biography 

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 

If you’re a science lover like me, you will really enjoy this book. It tells the remarkable true story of Henrietta Lacks, a woman of color in the 1950s. During a cervical cancer surgery, her cells were stolen from her and never died. This cell line, aka HeLa cells, transformed the world of medicine forever.

A heartwarming memoir

Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World by Bob Goff

If you’re looking for something that will change your outlook on life, Love Does will certainly do the trick. Bob Goff’s life includes having a law office on Tom Sawyer island in Disneyland, being the Honorary Consul to Uganda, taking his kids to eat ice cream with Russian diplomats and so much more. His secret: loving everyone. 

A self-help book

The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz

We’re all looking for a little help these days. The Four Agreements dives into the ancient Toltec philosophy of living according to your own beliefs instead of society’s beliefs. It includes four steps to help you seek a life of freedom.

With millions of stories to choose from, it’s no difficult task to find one you connect with. Give yourself a break from the stress of quarantine and immerse yourself in a great book.